MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

T4 auto: 5 weeks and 1111 in! Around 31 mpg overall in comfort mode. Would never dream of using the more brutal modes as HMRC get enough off me!
Bhowani
T4 Ins Pro Auto
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue

Burmey

Post by Burmey »

My MPG is appalling. I've got it set to Individual mode, (when I remember; it's a shame it can't be permanently set to this) and that's Eco for everything except the steering force, which I've changed to firm.Mine is a D4 and I mostly do short journeys at the moment and I haven't got more than 28 mpg. My old XC60 was better and my XC90 was better for the same journeys before that. I just don't understand how it can be this bad.
V40, XC90, XC60, and now First Edition 2nd owner since November 2018 XC40 Red.
Burmey

Post by Burmey »

By the way, did everyone realise that each time you start the engine, the drive mode reverts to Comfort Mode? I hadn't realised this until someone at the branch told me a couple of weeks ago. I have set my individual mode profile to predominantly eco settings, but I now have to remember to change the mode via the button on the console each time I start up the engine.
V40, XC90, XC60, and now First Edition 2nd owner since November 2018 XC40 Red.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

TBH I don't think eco is much different to comfort around town. Eco comes into its own when you can plan ahead & really make best use of coasting.

Coasting won't initiate much below 40mph. My T4, which averages 31 mpg, will do 44mpg on a rural 50-60 mph run, if I try hard enough - becomes quite a fun game.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Interestingly post service (and engine warning light) I was told my NOX sensor had crystalised, which apparently could have impacted on the fuel economy. They've cleaned it off, I've reset my trip computer, will see what it does over the next couple of weeks.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Burmey wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:04 pm By the way, did everyone realise that each time you start the engine, the drive mode reverts to Comfort Mode? I hadn't realised this until someone at the branch told me a couple of weeks ago. I have set my individual mode profile to predominantly eco settings, but I now have to remember to change the mode via the button on the console each time I start up the engine.
This could be because of the emission reduction technologies not being able to work efficiently, which older engines didn’t have to deal with, e.g. DPF and AdBlue, both of which need good runs to work properly. If you only do short journeys, petrol might haven a better choice. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing though.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

define short - my commute is 25 miles each way, don't do that many short journeys really, but maybe this will discourage me further. Had to fill up AdBlue at maybe 5000 miles, and they've had to fill it again today at the service (8300 miles). I was 50/50 D4 / T5 at the time, as you say, hindsight is a great thing!
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

James Blonde wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:33 pm define short - my commute is 25 miles each way, don't do that many short journeys really, but maybe this will discourage me further. Had to fill up AdBlue at maybe 5000 miles, and they've had to fill it again today at the service (8300 miles). I was 50/50 D4 / T5 at the time, as you say, hindsight is a great thing!
Looking at Honest John’s website, https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keyw ... t+journeys, at 25 miles each way, you should be alright. They reckon it needs to be about 15 miles for the DPF to work properly.

My commute is 11 miles each way, so I may have problems. I’m forced down the dieseasel route by work, so they can pick up the problems I might have.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

My dealer when I was looking to purchase my XC40 advised me if I did less than 15k / year and short journeys ie below 25 - 30 mins at a constant speed diesel not recommended due to DPF issues etc. Plus
I notice now too motability have vastly reduced their diesel options due to the costs the were incurring with DPF issues and they will only cover one repair now under warranty I’d it’s down to low mileage clogging issues.
I found the following on the Volvo website

This was taken from Volvo website:

Diesel cars are equipped with a particle filter, which results in more efficient emission control.
The particles in the exhaust gases are collected in the filter during normal driving. So-called “regeneration” is started in order to burn away the particles and empty the filter. This requires the engine to have reached normal operating temperature.

Filter regeneration takes place automatically and normally takes 10-20 minutes. It may take a little longer at a low average speed. Fuel consumption may increase slightly during regeneration.
Regeneration in cold weather
If the car is frequently driven short distances in cold weather then the engine does not reach normal operating temperature. This means that regeneration of the diesel particle filter does not take place and the filter is not emptied.

When the filter has become approximately 80% full of particles, a yellow warning triangle is shown in the combined instrument panel, and the message Soot filter full See manual is shown in the information display.

Start regeneration of the filter by driving the car until the engine reaches normal operating temperature, preferably on a main road or motorway. The car should then be driven for approximately 20 minutes more.

NOTE
The following may arise during regeneration:

a smaller reduction of engine power may be noticed temporarily
fuel consumption may increase temporarily
a smell of burning may arise.
T5 First edition Crystal White
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

The other problem with DPFs is engine oil being diluted with fuel, particularly when regenerations only partially complete or when 'active' regenerations are triggered. Some makes/models are worse than others. I became aware of the problem on my diesel Range Rover, hence my purchase of a petrol XC40. Google something like' DPF oil dilution' and you will be forever wary of diesels!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.