MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Reg Istered

Post by Reg Istered »

GCxc40 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:18 pm I’ve had my T4 six days and 389 miles. In the first couple of days of short trips around town I had some very thirsty performance but a sixty mile round trip from cold achieved 38 mpg and today a 150 mile round trip with 140 on motorways in Eco mode between 65 and 70 mph mostly using cruise control yielded 42.8 mpg.
Having read some of the numbers people get I am more than pleased at that. I’ve learned how to get MPG numbers from trips with no problem but I’ve yet find the way to show instantaneous MPG ,I’m sure it’s obvious when you know how but I’d appreciate any pointers as I haven’t found the manual helpful.
An average is a far better measure. The instantaneous will give 99mpg and 5mpg within 100metres from one foot press on the accelerator to the next. Depends how hard you put your foot down.

The instantaneous appears when you tick the option in the settings.

Press the button on the right part of the steering wheel. The info appears under the rev counter display, tick instantaneous, and you will see instantaneous at the bottom right of the Speedo display.

GCxc40

Post by GCxc40 »

thanks for that ,I think I must be being dense ( possible) As when I do that I see options for TA and TM distances and MPG,distance to refill etc.......but no Instantaneous option.........will look again tomorrow.....possible I’m just not scrolling down enough.

Cheers
T4 FWD Inscription ,Xenium Pack,Intellisafe,Winter Pack,Towbar, Glacier Silver
Reg Istered

Post by Reg Istered »

Search the manual for "trip".

Here's what it says:

Show trip data in the driver display
The trip computer's recorded and calculated values can be shown in the driver display.

The values are saved in a trip computer app. Via the app menu, you can choose which information is shown on the driver display.

Open and navigate in the app menu using the right-hand steering wheel keypad.
App menu Left/right Up/down Confirm
Open the app menu in the driver display by pressing (1).

(It is not possible to open the app menu while there is an unacknowledged message in the driver display. The message first has to be confirmed by pressing the O button (4) before the app menu can be opened.)

Navigate to the trip computer app to left or right with (2).

The top four menu rows show measured values for trip meter TM. The next four menu rows show measured values for trip meter TA. Scroll up or down in the list with (3).

Scroll down to the option buttons to select which information to show in the driver display:

Odometer

Distance to empty tank

Tourist (alternative speedometer)

Mileage for trip meter TM, TA, or no display of mileage

Instantaneous fuel consumption, average consumption for TM or TA, alternatively, no display of fuel consumption

Select or deselect an option with the O button (4). The change is made immediately.

Deleted User 2478

Post by Deleted User 2478 »

My T4 FWD is 5 weeks old and I’ve put 2500 miles in it. Driving in ECO mode and using adaptive cruise control most of the time, I was able today to pull 43 mpg on a 250 miles hilly countryside trip. I’m delighted with this mileage, it just shows economical driving is possible when letting the electronics take care of acceleration and braking. City driving in Comfort mode still returns around 25 mpg, but that’s a figure I expect in heavy traffic...
Last edited by Deleted User 2478 on Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSONCATS

Post by HANSONCATS »

Just completed 900 miles since delivery in my XC40 T3 MOMENTUM PRO AUTO .[with a few extras]
It is showing an overall mpg of 40.9 and last week did my first long trip.
Returning from N. Norfolk to the South Coast with 2 up plus luggage [approx 200 miles] using the ECO Mode I averaged 44.8 mpg which I thought was pretty good-even saw 47 plus early on in the journey when doing around 40/ 50mph on quiet A roads
Overall I love the driving experience .Only criticism are the rear seat backs which are a bit upright and non adjustable.
Klanky

Post by Klanky »

Just done a round trip from Cheshire to Kent and back via Milton Keynes.

Overall consumption for the round trip was 55.1 mpg.

Mostly motorway and not in any rush, but impressive nonetheless

---------------------------
D3 FWD Momentum Pro, 9,000 miles from new.
RobsAppleJuice

Post by RobsAppleJuice »

My T3 R Design is only 400 miles old and I managed to get 51mpg out of it on my 18 mile commute today, which is a mixture of A Roads, motorway and city driving! Very happy with that!
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

RobsAppleJuice wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:28 am My T3 R Design is only 400 miles old and I managed to get 51mpg out of it on my 18 mile commute today, which is a mixture of A Roads, motorway and city driving! Very happy with that!
Very impressive indeed! Is your T3 auto or manual?
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Mines dropping. 28.5 atm - forgot I had a car for a few weeks.
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
RobsAppleJuice

Post by RobsAppleJuice »

frtsrm wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:24 am
RobsAppleJuice wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:28 am My T3 R Design is only 400 miles old and I managed to get 51mpg out of it on my 18 mile commute today, which is a mixture of A Roads, motorway and city driving! Very happy with that!
Very impressive indeed! Is your T3 auto or manual?
Manual! Lots of 50mph stretches in the run which no doubt helps haha