MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

I'm getting more or less the same mpg as dsun18 an overall mpg of 28.8 after 2600miles anywhere between 25-35 dependant on journey and conditions but using super grade petrol doesn't appear to make any difference, the full ice cold aircon on 100% of the time must be using energy but I agree Auto Pilot and cruise control compensate for a heavy right foot.
Its a different topic really but getting lots of static shocks when getting out of the vehicle if you touch anything metal on the exit.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.

ste12

Post by ste12 »

hdasmith wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:15 am
ste12 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm 700 miles to date mainly taken up with 500 mile return trip to Cornwall on very quiet A roads/motorways both ways. Current average is 44 mpg.
How are you finding the D3 ste12?
Hi hdasmith. For the first time yesterday, I reset the trip computer so it shows average per journey rather than on total mileage. Took it out yesterday for 30 mile run with mostly A roads (speeds 30-60 mph) and air con on low (as in coldest setting) and was pleasantly surprised to get an average of 57.9 mpg. Same journey back but with more stop starting and it came in at 55.1. Book figures are normally to be taken with a pinch of salt but I think these numbers are pretty close. Once I got past about 15 mins of driving, the average mpg really started to climb.
D3 R Design. Silver. 19s. Tow-bar. Ordered 1st March. Delivered: July 10
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

ste12 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 am Hi hdasmith. For the first time yesterday, I reset the trip computer so it shows average per journey rather than on total mileage. Took it out yesterday for 30 mile run with mostly A roads (speeds 30-60 mph) and air con on low (as in coldest setting) and was pleasantly surprised to get an average of 57.9 mpg. Same journey back but with more stop starting and it came in at 55.1. Book figures are normally to be taken with a pinch of salt but I think these numbers are pretty close. Once I got past about 15 mins of driving, the average mpg really started to climb.
Thanks, that’s great! How do you find the engine? Lacking in power, or plenty of oomph? Are you FWD or AWD?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
ste12

Post by ste12 »

hdasmith wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am
ste12 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 am Hi hdasmith. For the first time yesterday, I reset the trip computer so it shows average per journey rather than on total mileage. Took it out yesterday for 30 mile run with mostly A roads (speeds 30-60 mph) and air con on low (as in coldest setting) and was pleasantly surprised to get an average of 57.9 mpg. Same journey back but with more stop starting and it came in at 55.1. Book figures are normally to be taken with a pinch of salt but I think these numbers are pretty close. Once I got past about 15 mins of driving, the average mpg really started to climb.
Thanks, that’s great! How do you find the engine? Lacking in power, or plenty of oomph? Are you FWD or AWD?
FWD. Finding it very hard to say anything bad about the car/engine! I'm no expert but I've found it has plenty of power and have towed with it as well. Plenty of power when needed.
D3 R Design. Silver. 19s. Tow-bar. Ordered 1st March. Delivered: July 10
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

ste12 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:22 pm FWD. Finding it very hard to say anything bad about the car/engine! I'm no expert but I've found it has plenty of power and have towed with it as well. Plenty of power when needed.
Perfect! Just what I wanted to hear! :D Thank you. Only about three months to go until I get my hands on one!
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

johnbluerio wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:41 pm Its a different topic really but getting lots of static shocks when getting out of the vehicle if you touch anything metal on the exit.
Keep a hand on the car metal, B pillar, before putting your foot down on the ground, the shock then transfers between your shoe and the ground and not your hand and the car.

Tom
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

I'll give the shock treatment solution a try, otherwise might consider one of the trailing earth connections you sometimes see.
Never kept as car so clean for years thought that might have something to do with it.
Time for a 3 month check over and get any updates
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.
Mogbat975

Post by Mogbat975 »

Does anyone have any data comparing eco mode with comfort?
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Not very scientific but yesterday did a return trip ~30 miles each way. Mostly dual carriageway with small amount of urban driving at each end. Outbound in Comfort Mode yielded 35mpg, return in Eco Mode gave 40 mpg. Return trip took around 10 mins longer. First time I've tried Eco mode , the throttle response was dire and made me wonder why I had bought a T5!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
andygou

Post by andygou »

Has anyone assessed the effects of running at the Eco tyre pressure (38psi on my 19” wheels) on either fuel consumption or ride quality?

Just pumped my tyres up to Eco pressure so we shall see..........
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.