MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
David56

Post by David56 »

I averaged 33.4 mpg driving up from London (110 miles) lots of stop starts followed by motorway then country roads so a good mix, pleased with that.
First Edition T5 in Fusion Red with 20" Alloys.
Now Sold

PC40

Post by PC40 »

Just returned from 2 weeks in Cornwall. Average on way back 37.5 mpg over 360 mile in eco mode. A few delays but not a lot of stop start and keeping up with the traffic speed elsewhere. The car has 5600 miles and indicates 33.7 although the on call app says 34 mpg.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

I'm seeing T5's getting the same MPG (~35) as I'm getting in my D4. This just doesn't seem right....
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

The mpg on my T5 is still improving slowly. After 3500 miles the car is showing an average of 34mpg. A 120 mile trip yesterday averaged 38 mpg.

I always drive in Comfort mode with start-stop disabled. Gentle acceleration seems to be the key to good mpg; as others have observed Cruise Control seems to accelerate gently and I try to emulate this when cc is disabled.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

My T4 has just gone over 1000 miles. 90% of my day to day driving has been shortish journeys in and around my local city to work (roughly a 20 mile round trip each day..start/stop in traffic) with not much chance at the moment for many long runs.

Currently i'm on around 31.4 MPG using Eco Mode. I dont think thats bad considering i can be in stop/start traffic for a good portion of my trip.

dont know what you think?
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
saq1847

Post by saq1847 »

Had my D3 for about 36hrs first round trip of over 200miles total and average mpg of 49,7 although driving at 40mph in torrential rain had something to do with that.
Pine Grey Inscription due early Oct
Christoph99

Post by Christoph99 »

Took delivery of my T4 AWD R-Design yesterday and MPG is already a real concern. Just been out at lunchtime in town and it did 21 mpg, admittedly with lots of starting and stopping, but my previous BMW X3 - heavier, manual gearbox - would have beaten that. From other posts it seems like mpg will improve but how long until I should see an improvement? What have other T4 owners' experiences been? Thanks
isleaiw

Post by isleaiw »

Christoph99 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm Took delivery of my T4 AWD R-Design yesterday and MPG is already a real concern. Just been out at lunchtime in town and it did 21 mpg, admittedly with lots of starting and stopping, but my previous BMW X3 - heavier, manual gearbox - would have beaten that. From other posts it seems like mpg will improve but how long until I should see an improvement? What have other T4 owners' experiences been? Thanks
How many miles have you done for it to be "already a real concern"? what sort of X3 did you have before and what was its average? over how many miles?

I can get 17 or 18 from my Audi on a short stop start run, but its overall average so far is 29.5mpg, as most of my motoring is longer journeys. My previous XC70 would do about 36 on similar journeys. I do about 12000 miles a year and reckon the difference is costing me a bit more than a tenner a week - which is peanuts compared to the depreciation.

Not sure the fuel consumption on one journey should really be a real concern in any circumstances!
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

Christoph99 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm Took delivery of my T4 AWD R-Design yesterday and MPG is already a real concern. Just been out at lunchtime in town and it did 21 mpg, admittedly with lots of starting and stopping, but my previous BMW X3 - heavier, manual gearbox - would have beaten that. From other posts it seems like mpg will improve but how long until I should see an improvement? What have other T4 owners' experiences been? Thanks
Hi @Christoph99

My T4 Inscription was pretty much like yours initially. I was fairly shocked how the digital fuel gauge seemed to drop quite quickly.I also think that being digital readout rather than an actual needle, it sometimes makes fuel use look worse than it actually is ( by this i mean a 'block' of colour just goes rather and a physical needles finer movement - if that makes any sense? lol )

I've had my car for 4/5 weeks now (just over 1000 miles done) and am currently reading at 31.4 MPG in eco mode during my run:

from home -> local town to drop my wife off -> out of local town to my work place on the outskirts.

I'd say i'm currently loosing a few miles in range when compared to my old car for the same journey - a BMW 125i - but as old and new vehicles are not exactly comparable, I don't think I can really put too much stock behind that.

Hope that helps - message if not :)
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I have a T5 but I too remember being alarmed at first. I reckon that you need to get a couple of thousand miles on the clock before judging things too much. The average figure that is permanently displayed on the dashboard was showing about 20 mpg when I started, it is now showing over 35 mpg
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18