MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
andygou

Post by andygou »

According to Fuelly, my T5 is averaging 31.7mpg after 7500 miles. Volvo On Call App is claiming 35.7mpg!
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.

Davidrosey

Post by Davidrosey »

i have a T4 R Design and after extensive testing by volvo the best they got was 21 mpg
simmo

Post by simmo »

David56 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am I averaged 33.4 mpg driving up from London (110 miles) lots of stop starts followed by motorway then country roads so a good mix, pleased with that.
Hi David WHY did you sell ! any probs with car.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

I have the MY20 price & specification, the T4 AWD auto fuel consumption based on the new WLTP standard is 32.8-35.3 mpg combined while the same for D4 is 39.8-44.1 mpg.
Sventek

Post by Sventek »

I have a T5 R-Design with Polestar enhancement. I've done 2,485km (1,544 miles), and averaged 10.3 l/100km (27.4mpg).
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Had my RDesign T4 for 10 days now I am averaging 34mpg with mixed driving town and motorway used eco setting most of the time and considering it’s a new engine I am more than satisfied, after reading some of the horror stories on this forum mileage at present 295
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
tomtallon

Post by tomtallon »

Just a couple of points guys.

Obviously how you use the car will have most effect on mpg but the mpg will always be higher in summer. Also I garage my car each night and this beats keeping it on a frosty drive or street (I live in frozen North East England!) so where you live has an effect. I measured at least 3 mpg extra on account of these variables eg warm garage and summer temperatures.
johnd

Post by johnd »

tomtallon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 am I measured at least 3 mpg extra on account of these variables eg warm garage and summer temperatures.
I suspect that part of the extra consumption in winter may be due to extra performance being available. The colder denser air will allow more charge into the cylinder; obviously this is controlled to some extent by the engine management system, but if you start off with colder denser air then it seems likely to me that you'll also see a degree of extra power per bang. Would be interesting to see equivalent 0-60 times measured in summer and winter - wouldn't be surprised to see winter times being eg 0.1-0.2 sec better, assuming both were done on dry roads etc.

In winter there's also maybe more chance of wet roads with increased tyre drag and hence more fuel consumption. This effect is a bit more obvious with EVs where you get an instantaneous readout of power consumption but the same effect must apply to fossil cars too.
Hes

Post by Hes »

johnd wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 am
tomtallon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 am I measured at least 3 mpg extra on account of these variables eg warm garage and summer temperatures.
I suspect that part of the extra consumption in winter may be due to extra performance being available. The colder denser air will allow more charge into the cylinder; obviously this is controlled to some extent by the engine management system, but if you start off with colder denser air then it seems likely to me that you'll also see a degree of extra power per bang. Would be interesting to see equivalent 0-60 times measured in summer and winter - wouldn't be surprised to see winter times being eg 0.1-0.2 sec better, assuming both were done on dry roads etc.

In winter there's also maybe more chance of wet roads with increased tyre drag and hence more fuel consumption. This effect is a bit more obvious with EVs where you get an instantaneous readout of power consumption but the same effect must apply to fossil cars too.
It also takes more energy to get the engine up to temperature
johnd

Post by johnd »

Hes wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 pm It also takes more energy to get the engine up to temperature
Yes, certainly. But I was really thinking more about steady-state consumption, ie on a longer run once the engine has reached operating temperature.