MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Average mpg is now 40.3 mpg. Now done over 5000 and mpg continues to increase. T4 auto AWD

I'm happy with that.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019

Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

I did two 50 mile trips today on the motorway network - both in ECO mode with mostly light traffic with a few minutes in queuing traffic. Speed was a steady 60-70mph depending upon the traffic. It returned 44.8 and 44.7 mpg. So reasonably pleased with this as its higher than the quoted WLTP figures listed by Volvo:

https://assets.volvocars.com/uk/~/media ... f?la=en-gb so
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 pm I did two 50 mile trips today on the motorway network - both in ECO mode with mostly light traffic with a few minutes in queuing traffic. Speed was a steady 60-70mph depending upon the traffic. It returned 44.8 and 44.7 mpg. So reasonably pleased with this as its higher than the quoted WLTP figures listed by Volvo:

https://assets.volvocars.com/uk/~/media ... f?la=en-gb so
They're great figures !! I don't think I'd get that out of my D4.
I'm actually very disappointed with the D4 auto combination. When you drive it hard it's harsh and laggy and dreadful on fuel.
When you drive it gently it is very comfortable and smooth but still laggy and just ok on fuel.
I know physically you can't directly compare them but I used to average 35mpg in my 313hp 6 cylinder diesel BMW 435d without any thought to my driving style.
I now average 35.7mpg in this car driving much more gently, constantly trying to drive economically.
TBH, I've been a bit obsessed with mpg in this car to the point that it's detracting from the experience so from today I'm just going to drive it and forget about fuel consumption for a while.
I shall reset the average and see what it says in a few months time.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

First full tank real world driving for a one month old not yet run in R design pro T4 FWD, 33.6 mpg right at the bottom of the published WLTP combined figures.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I have a R design D4 and mpg is improving now I have done 4k. I am averaging just over 40 mpg without trying or even thinking about it and never using ECO. I get 42 or so on motorways and around 38 on short runs. A little worse than my previous Tiguan with comparable engine which averaged 42 in the end but that was at 40k so nothing that significant especially if it continues to improve.
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

Mine's a T4 auto: 32 ish around town, and no really long journeys completed yet. Would guess 35+ if I went to Nordkapp steadily.
But I did not buy the T4 for economy. My "500 in a day" days are long gone.

Bhowani
T4 Auto in denim blue
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

600 miles on the clock, mixed driving in T4 R-Design FWD and average of 30ish mpg on the trip. Real world I suspect is somewhat lower although it needs bedding in for a while first.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mine's doing about the same. As above didn't buy it for economy now that I'm retired and not doing that many miles. Bit different to my previous Yeti 2.0 diesel manual that would easily do 50 mpg.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Girs76

Post by Girs76 »

Blastpipe wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 pm Average mpg is now 40.3 mpg. Now done over 5000 and mpg continues to increase. T4 auto AWD

I'm happy with that.
Mine's a T4 auto AWD with 5900 miles and I've yet to better 35mpg average! I was hoping for 40. I'm hardly heavy footed. Wonder what you're doing that I'm not?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I drive as mush as I can with the eco setting on. Only switching to comfort when I need more air con (wet raining car steaming up or high solar gain)
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019