Accessing the warning triangle

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MB40

Post by MB40 »

I have found it impossible to remove the warning triangle from its home inside the tailgate. The catch rotates through 90 regards ok and the cover is loose in the sense that it moves around a bit but it won't actually release.
Is there a particular technique to use? Does the whole cover come away or is it hinged on one side.
(Not really a big problem but would be nice to know should the triangle be urgently required!)
FE D4 l Bursting Blue l 19" l Took delivery 3rd May

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Manual appears to show it to be hinged

76DA0EE9-6C0F-4A8F-A5B9-19E7F8A0474C.png

XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MB40 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 pm I have found it impossible to remove the warning triangle from its home inside the tailgate. The catch rotates through 90 regards ok and the cover is loose in the sense that it moves around a bit but it won't actually release.
Is there a particular technique to use? Does the whole cover come away or is it hinged on one side.
(Not really a big problem but would be nice to know should the triangle be urgently required!)
Yes MB40 - it (that is the cover over the cavity) is hinged at the right hand end. Shaenei's first illustration from the manual shows it hinged at the left hand end - presumably for a left hand drive car.

It is tricky to get the left hand end of the cover to release after you have rotated the circular catch. Just try to prise it out on the left hand end around the catch (gently use a screwdriver or key?). There are then a couple of plastic clips part way along the cover which pop out when you lever them, and then the cover should fall away, hinged at the right end. I think after the first time, it should be easier. Incidentally, as the second illustration posted by Shaenei shows, once you get it out of its red plastic sleeve box, the triangle itself is hinged, and clips together. Tricky to unclip that afterwards as well! Also, you will find the triangle fits very snugly in its sleeve box especially due to the plastic wrap around piece - hard to describe, but you will know what I mean once you start to unpack it and then re-pack it.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MB40

Post by MB40 »

Thanks PJM, using a bit more force than I thought should be necessary I managed to unclip the clips along the top and bottom edges and hey presto the warning triangle was revealed. Its more like removing a trim panel than an access panel.
I didn't take the triangle out of its box, it certainly looks tightly packed in there, hopefully I wont need it any time soon.
FE D4 l Bursting Blue l 19" l Took delivery 3rd May