Off Road anyone tried it yet?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

There are various posts re mpg delivery etc etc. has anyone actually ventured off road yet, or had the need to use 4 x 4 they can't all be Midi Chelsea tractors.
When its not a company vehicle they get treated differently .
Mines only just got wet had our first rain for weeks. All good for !8" of floodwater if it gets seriously wet.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.

xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Took it off road in north Northumberland and it seemed to handle the varying surfaces quite well, adapting to any skids or slides. Haven't done any hard core offroading like I did with my old 4x4 or when at work surveying, too expensive a car to risk damaging it!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

Can understand why you don't do hardcore off road with a new motor, sounds an ideal vehicle for land surveying work ( its what I did on Motorways in the 1970s) but you now use GPS I guess. There are no reviews and little in the way of youtube videos with an XC40 offroad no one wants to turn them into muddy wheelers or are they too delicate?
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

All of these are off-road or simulating off-road driving:

MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

We'll 18 hours new....., so I popped down to our pond with just 55 miles on the clock
I, like others on this forum, have driven off road for work; including landrovers; Suzuki sj410; Nissan Navara; VW Amarok; VW Caravelle 4 motion; XC60, XC90 (old style).........
And whilst this is a mild off road course, this very soft sand heavily rutted, can cause you problems in seconds; the XC40 AWD is like nothing else I've ever driven. Its really unique in my experience, that it makes progress with very few revs. Most vehicles either manual/dsg/toque-converter will need quite a few revs to make progress across rutted soft sand. Not the XC40, press the off-road button, and off you go, with virtual no revs. Brilliant off road, but very strange; my old xc60 D5 AWD would never do that, the sand offers far too much resistance for the torque-convertor to overcome with out significant throttle. This could well be a very very capable off-roader, one which treads very lightly . Love it, Love it, my perfect car :P

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5804.JPG

T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
Gre

Post by Gre »

Great news and beautiful car. I just do not have the guts to take the car off-road and damage the 20 inch wheels. Hopefully wouldn’t mind taking it on snow during winter skiing trips. I hope it will do good as it did on the YouTube video of colorado blizzard. Honestly it’s the best whole package car I have had for the last 15 years and I have changed at least 8 cars until now. My only concern is up to today is reliability. Let’s wait and see in the future 8-)
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

I agree. My chopped in XC60 was nearly 10 years old, so not up to date at all. But this little car in the 72 hours I've owned it, has amazed me. Regardless of cost, I honestly cannot think of another car that would fit my needs & wants better than this little robot.
I keep looking at it from every angel, wondering if this could be a masterpiece, a future classic.
It's understated in terms of stick on style bits & trims, but its proportions/lines/angles/stance are soooooo sweet to my eyes; Its form & function are so well balanced & executed. Well Done Volvo.
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

Nearly tried it the other day, drove past the entrance to KORC ( Kirton off road centre) ,-------- it was a bit muddy on the B road, so I gave it a miss !
Chris that land on Trent bank is all sandy topsoil so very little chance of rocks damaging the rims but easy to get stuck in, hence all the soft verge signs everywhere.
Its better if you know the terrain before entering.
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

The last Road Job I worked on was the A42 Asby-Breedon ; I drove (out of choice) a Suzuki sj410 - so much more fun than a LR Defender.
It was great off-road; so when I saw this a month ago I was so tempted to by 2 for the cost of an FE XC40. It's really well reviewed as well.
Suzuki Jimny 2019

suzuki-jimny-2019-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx-c4d-lwo-lw-lws.jpg

MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Mine has seen some light off roading, across a few steep fields and fairly rough unpaved tracks. It does feel fairly capable I'll give it that, wouldn't want to get in too much mud with the tires though!
In off road mode it does give more torque at low speeds, as per the manual it activates "low speed mode", like putting a vehicle into low range gear box I guess.

I drive a fairly modded electricity board LR Defender for work, that thing will go almost anywhere with BFG Mud Terrain Tires fitted. Its weight can let it down at times though!

I also have to agree that Jimny looks like it could be a great little genuine off roader!
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!