Stupid Sat Nav

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ramzey

Post by ramzey »

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Sensus Sat Nav is shockingly bad??

The voice directions are awful, and waste precious time with niceties such as please, I dont care for manners just tell me where I am sodding going...please, poor graphics compared to other makes as well.

It also cannot pronounce things properly at all, the number four has become fruh..err what?! The A421 was pronouced fruh tuh one!

My 2012 S60 D5 had excellent Sat Nav (probably ford's old one as its a ford era car). To be honest Volvo should have stuck with that, this one is awful.

balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Having come from a 2010 V60 I probably had the same satnav as you. I agree with the voice, it sounds very robotic by comparison and some of the numbers are clipped as you say. On the plus side I find it easier to set destinations, the voice can be muted easily and the level of instructions given can be adjusted (used to get annoyed by the old satnav which insisted on telling me everything three times!)

Don't think that the graphics are too bad, but I do miss the ability to split the screen into a wide view and a detailed view. Not especially happy that POIs only show when you are zoomed in a long way
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

It's a 100 times better than the Land Rover system. The voice thing is deffo weird though when having to say three numbers together.
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
Mogbat975

Post by Mogbat975 »

Is there an option not to avoid tolls.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Mogbat975 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 pm Is there an option not to avoid tolls.
Settings - Navigation - Route & Guidance - Avoidance Settings.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Wait until you decide to head to the continent. The bloody think insists on inputting special characters (e.g. those with accent marks) or it is simply incapable of finding a destination. Proved extremely frustrating until I figured it out but drives me absolutely nuts here in Hungary. My old jeep had a much better sat nav and cared less for the special characters. You were free to use them or not. Unfortunately, have not found a way around it with the XC40 system.
XC-40 Momentum | T5 | Amazon Blue with White Roof | 19" White Alloys
wakey

Post by wakey »

I’m niggled by the “prepare to turn left/right”. I spend ages passing side roads “preparing” to turn 😂
Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

wakey wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm I’m niggled by the “prepare to turn left/right”. I spend ages passing side roads “preparing” to turn 😂
I have found that it helps to reduce the level of voice guidance down to minimum in the Navigation setup. You then only get told once. I also mute the voice guidance a lot of the time as well.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
andygou

Post by andygou »

If only Volvo had included a physical rotary switch to adjust the zoom level, rather than relying on the two-fingered pinch trick, which invariably needs a few attempts to get the desired level of map detail, for me anyway.

Come to think of it, it would have been good if Volvo had adopted the VW Group software in its entirety, which is far better than Sensus in my opinion. A shame, as it lets down an otherwise cracking car.
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

I read somewhere (probably in the bowels of these forums) that Volvo signed up with Google to base on Google car OS for future Volvo cars. Be interesting to see how well implemented the various functions are within the Google ecosystem within the car.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18