Stupid Sat Nav

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

xc40fun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 pm I read somewhere (probably in the bowels of these forums) that Volvo signed up with Google to base on Google car OS for future Volvo cars. Be interesting to see how well implemented the various functions are within the Google ecosystem within the car.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=418&p=3580&hilit=sensus#p3580
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Who needs Google when we have our very own pjm007 :)
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

xc40fun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm Who needs Google when we have our very own pjm007 :)
;)
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I guess this is the first first and last Volvo I buy then! I don’t trust google an inch, I don’t even use them for search! Last thing I want is them tracking my journeys, music I listen to while driving, shops I pass en route and at what time, etc!
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

hdasmith wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 am
I guess this is the first first and last Volvo I buy then! I don’t trust google an inch, I don’t even use them for search! Last thing I want is them tracking my journeys, music I listen to while driving, shops I pass en route and at what time, etc!
The XC40 has Volvo On Call built in so whether Google or not, you're already being tracked...
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

q3billy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:55 pm
hdasmith wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 am
The XC40 has Volvo On Call built in so whether Google or not, you're already being tracked...
I realise that, but at least with Volvo I’m the customer, not the product.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

andygou wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm If only Volvo had included a physical rotary switch to adjust the zoom level, rather than relying on the two-fingered pinch trick, which invariably needs a few attempts to get the desired level of map detail, for me anyway.

Come to think of it, it would have been good if Volvo had adopted the VW Group software in its entirety, which is far better than Sensus in my opinion. A shame, as it lets down an otherwise cracking car.
Does the Sensus Satnav have the option for automatic zoom in/out like the VW Group satnav does?
If you are not familiar with this system you can set it to auto-zoom and it’s really useful. It zooms out when there are no instructions coming up then zooms right in as instructions are given so you can see much more detail without having to do anything manual...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:47 pm
andygou wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm If only Volvo had included a physical rotary switch to adjust the zoom level, rather than relying on the two-fingered pinch trick, which invariably needs a few attempts to get the desired level of map detail, for me anyway.

Come to think of it, it would have been good if Volvo had adopted the VW Group software in its entirety, which is far better than Sensus in my opinion. A shame, as it lets down an otherwise cracking car.

Does the Sensus Satnav have the option for automatic zoom in/out like the VW Group satnav does?
If you are not familiar with this system you can set it to auto-zoom and it’s really useful. It zooms out when there are no instructions coming up then zooms right in as instructions are given so you can see much more detail without having to do anything manual...
Can’t see anything in the manual but I hope it does - I find the pinch approach impractical in a car. To be honest I am not impressed by the sensus system at all - seems to require more menu selections than necessary. BMW iDrive is far superior IMHO.
XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May
steveevans7

Post by steveevans7 »

me too sat nav not up to the standard of the rest of the car.
male voice in addition to numbers cannot say prepare, female in addition to number cannot say motorway

what does the speed setting on the speech do tried to slow it down hoping it would say things clearly. i think it is dangerous when you do not know where you are going and the voice just mumbles making you constantly look at the display and not the road. come on Volvo sort it out a 2018 S60 lent to me did not have these failings
Taity87

Post by Taity87 »

Agreed, the sat nav is definitelty "stupid". It's nice to have especially with the route displaying on the dashboard when you drive and I've found it handy for some trips. However on a couple journies (where I knew the route but I was just testing it as you do with a new car) it's told me to turn right on a no right turn or it has taken me on a really slow route. Now you can use Google Maps on CarPlay and Waze coming soon I'll definitely just be using that when needed.

In all fairness though I personally have never found a sat nav on a car as standard better than something like Google Maps or Waze. Probably a very sweeping statement but just my personal view.

PS - rest of the car is excellent and my wife and I love it :)