Stupid Sat Nav

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Thanks for the update rifleman, very informative and objective view
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October

Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm I tend to use the maps function in the app to send the sat nav detail to the car. I struggle with the voice system, find it very difficult and slow.
Can you advise on how to do this?

I'm a motorcyclist and I use Garmn basecamp to plan routes then transfer them to the Sat Nav on my bike. Is it possible to do something similar with the Volvo system with their App.

Or can I use Waze with Carplay (which I have) and have it display on the main screen (whilst also listening to music from my iPhone?)
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Twin4Me wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:07 pm
kirsty_s2k wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm I tend to use the maps function in the app to send the sat nav detail to the car. I struggle with the voice system, find it very difficult and slow.
Can you advise on how to do this?

I'm a motorcyclist and I use Garmn basecamp to plan routes then transfer them to the Sat Nav on my bike. Is it possible to do something similar with the Volvo system with their App.

Or can I use Waze with Carplay (which I have) and have it display on the main screen (whilst also listening to music from my iPhone?)
The App works really well. Just select map in the app, search for your location and then a "send to Car " button is displayed. Press that and the location is sent to car and appears in your library.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

Thanks, that's a good way to send a location, but is there any way to send a pre-determined route?
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Twin4Me wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:48 pm Thanks, that's a good way to send a location, but is there any way to send a pre-determined route?
I am not aware that there is.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Twin4Me wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:48 pm Thanks, that's a good way to send a location, but is there any way to send a pre-determined route?
I’ve not found a way to send a pre-determined route (Itinerary) from the app but you can create and save an Itinerary on the Sensus console in the car and save it. A saved itinerary appears in the destinations menu with a double teardrop icon rather than a single teardrop as it would for a single destination.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Kevlar

Post by Kevlar »

Totally agree.
oem centre screen... Insufficient junction dratil, route often condensed into small area
Oem driver screen. Not enough advanced warning for complex junctions
Android auto. Can't input a destination while driving so utterly pojntless

I've just spent 150 having an aftermarket 5 inch garmin fitted to the dashboard. Utterly ridiculous to have to do this on a 40k car, but it's as if the volvo engineers have no idea what is needed as they've never seen a city
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Kevlar wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:26 pm Android auto. Can't input a destination while driving so utterly pojntless
Hopefully that’s an intentional design feature for the safety of you and other road users. Does android auto not allow you to use voice commands to set a destination like the sensus system?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Oswald

Post by Oswald »

For years I only used TomTom plug and play and then came along Apple Car Play and I have never looked back. Many will say Google Maps is the best but I am personally happy using Apple Maps. It’s a better alternative
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I'm a motorcyclist also with a Garmin and use Basecamp to plan trips and holidays. It's so good being able to plot exactly which roads you want to go down rather than having a nasty surprise when the dumb sat nav sends you down some narrow, winding lane with grass growing up the middle and fords which happened more than once in the TT - not a problem on the bike of course.

It can't be beyond the likes of Google to produce something similar but I guess most of their users just want to jump into the car, set the destination and go and don't care which roads until they get sent down a tortuous lane with a 60 mph limit (!) when the next turning is a much better road and usually quicker.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.