Stupid Sat Nav

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

First forgive my ignorance.
Two days ago in the Volvo showroom I detailed a T4.
The salesman suggested that to save money I did NOT need maps/guidance. That there was a map app that can be downloaded to your phone. That you plug your phone into the car and use the guidance from the phone.
Sorry for the poor description as I took his words at face value and did not make notes.
Is this true. I am very confused about this.
Thank you.
Luxembourg
Jaguar P200 S Auto AWD Santorini Black with Black Pack, Light Oyster leather seats and headlining. All season Michelin tyres.
Ordered November 2018 delivered early March 2019

City car FIAT 500 1.4 LOUNGE Metallic Grey RED leather seats

PC40

Post by PC40 »

You can download Waze to your phone and use this.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

If you want to use Waze on your phone for navigation just be aware that to see the map guidance on the Volvo’s central screen then you will need to choose the smart phone integration as an optional extra in the configurator. If you are happy to use the phone screen then remember you will need to buy a mount for the phone so that you can mount it in view somewhere. Failing that buy a standalone sat nav device like a tomtom...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

Thank you.
Luxembourg
Jaguar P200 S Auto AWD Santorini Black with Black Pack, Light Oyster leather seats and headlining. All season Michelin tyres.

PC40

Post by PC40 »

Rifleman wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 pm If you want to use Waze on your phone for navigation just be aware that to see the map guidance on the Volvo’s central screen then you will need to choose the smart phone integration as an optional extra in the configurator. If you are happy to use the phone screen then remember you will need to buy a mount for the phone so that you can mount it in view somewhere. Failing that buy a standalone sat nav device like a tomtom...
Thank you for your expanded explanation. My current (not so smart) smart phone won’t download waze. My kids use most of the time due to its real time traffic capability
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Mels1958

Post by Mels1958 »

I find it so annoying that I have to press the screen 4 times to get the traffic update. Why does it default to POI and why can't you just have one press for traffic delays? It's such a dangerous system, I have to take my eyes off the road so many times in a journey, I'm sure I will have an accident in this car. And the voice recognition is impossible. Whatever I ask it to do it says "searching for POI's"
elysio

Post by elysio »

Gfplux wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:58 am First forgive my ignorance.
Two days ago in the Volvo showroom I detailed a T4.
The salesman suggested that to save money I did NOT need maps/guidance. That there was a map app that can be downloaded to your phone. That you plug your phone into the car and use the guidance from the phone.
Sorry for the poor description as I took his words at face value and did not make notes.
Is this true. I am very confused about this.
Thank you.
My sales guy told me something similar. He specifically mentioned that there are 3 ways to get a map on the sensus screen:
1) The sensus nav system, which costs an extra $1000 here in Canada
2) Carplay/Android Auto
3) Some kind of Volvo app that has navigation, I don't know too much detail on this one

I think while all 3 are valid options to get navigation into the car, be mindful of the following:
1) Only #1 (sensus system nav) can be made available on the digital cockpit behind the steering wheel
2) Both #2 and #3 uses your smartphone data plan and relies on your phone's reception.

So IMO depending on your phone plan and how much you want a map showing on your digital dash, you may or may not find the in car navigation worth it.
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

Thank you all. Good thinking Elysio.
I have now asked the salesman to change the offer to add business line (€1611 here in Luxembourg) as it includes a couple of add ins I wanted the overall price has (only) risen by €648.
My test drive is in a weeks time. I am also test driving the Jaguar E Pace.
Heart leaning to Jag but Head says Volvo.
It will be decided very soon.
Luxembourg

Vaerlose, DK

Post by Vaerlose, DK »

We just came home to Copenhagen after more than 4000 km through Germany and Austria to Italy.
In Italy the Sat Nav gave many errors. The Sat Nav as such worked fine, but the result depends on the information in the maps, which obviously could be better in Italy. In Austria and Germany it worked perfectly and e.g. gave suggestion for alternative route when the ring motorway at Berlin were jammed Sunday evening, and the same happened at Munich avoiding Friday evening jam.
In Italy it sometimes was a challenge to find an address, so instead we gave the destination by pointing on the map plus "Drive here". In Italy we pointed to Puttgarden 1500 km (950 miles) away and it came up with a route suggestion. We put in the Stelvio Pass (2757 meter high) as intermediate point, and avoided toll roads i the short drive through Austria. Every thing worked just fine.
Here in Denmark the maps are very exact even if you choose "Nature". In Italy never do that, it gives terrible routes, and you can end up in a narrow blind dirt road.
XC40 Momentum, First Mover. T5 aut. AWD. Onyx Black, 18". On the road since March '18.
Dutchie01

Post by Dutchie01 »

Coming from a Lexus i find the XC40 satnav a vast improvement! ( propably tells more about the lexus systems...).

i always use voicecontrol entering an address always works fine. Pronounciation ( in Dutch) is fine as well. I do agree a rotary controller is more user friendly than a touch screen but i am satisfied so far.

is there a way to change the color of the graphics?