Wireless Apple CarPlay - is it possible?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Johnyboy

Post by Johnyboy »

Hi

Have just picked up my First Edition today and have connected via USB to Apple CarPlay (music so7nds so much better).

But for the life of me I can find out how to use Apple CarPlay without the USB cable.

Does anyone know how? And if it can’t be done I am gutted because I wanted CarPlay but I don’t want a USB dangling around.

senwar

Post by senwar »

No it can’t be done. Yet. Apple design ‘issue’
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Johnyboy

Post by Johnyboy »

I think this link answers my own question

http://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how- ... -wireless/
XC40-Aus

Post by XC40-Aus »

Apparently Wireless AppleCar play is available and some auto Comanches are starting to include it, including after market providers like Harmon Karden, but alas, it’s not available in the XC40, which is a huge shame because with wireless charging it’s logical, you go fro the convenience of wireless charging to then having to plug you phone in to get AppleCar play, so I end up not bothering, which is such a shame.

I hope this can be upgraded later by Volvo either hardware firmware update or software update because it will add value to my car and purchase from Volvo and be a perfect solution.

We shall wait and see.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I believe people have been slow to adopt it because it drained the battery so quickly you had to plug the phone in anyway to charge it. Wireless iPhones have only been around for a year, so you might start to see more wireless CarPlay systems.

The other thing to remember though is that it requires WiFi on the car too (which I know the xc40 has) which requires more power from the car. WiFi was never design with power efficiency in mind. If you see the instructions for installing CarPlay in the Volvo, it looks like a separate bit of hardware is required that might manage the CarPlay aspect, so I’m not sure that wireless CarPlay is as simple as a software update either. Maybe possible.

I think it’s more disappointing that Volvo hasn’t implemented the instrument cluster display for CarPlay.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018