XC40 Engine System Reduced Performance Error

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
XC40Bruno

Post by XC40Bruno »

I bought my XC40 R-Design T5 AWD back in April 2018. I have twice had issues while driving with receiving an error message displayed in the dashboard saying something like:

"Engine System Reduced Performance"

As with other problems I've had I tried to pull over and take a photo or video of the issue before taking the car in for service. One concern,
other than having these problems twice with such a new car is that after turning the car off the error message is no longer available in
the touch screen user interface of the car.

Are other people seeing these types of error messages? The car seems to be having horse power diminished just prior to this message
being displayed.

XC40Bruno
XC40 R-Design T5 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue. On the road in USA since April 21 2018.:)

aj05

Post by aj05 »

sounds as if its going into a limp home mode I had this as a re occurring problem with my v70 some years ago, found to be a faulty sensor in the fuel injection so I would assume some where in the engine management system you have a faulty sensor needs dealer to check fault codes.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Error codes don't disappear the ECU saves them and dealers can read them. You need special equipment/software to clear these codes
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Frosty72

Post by Frosty72 »

My brand new xc40 has now twice in a week gone into "limp mode" TRANSMISSION ACCELERATION PERFORMANCE REDUCED.
The RAC checked the log and no error was on the CPU. Luckily I took a photo of the the screen when it happened.
Tom33

Post by Tom33 »

My 23 XC40 B3 giving engine system reduced performance every morning sometime every second morning. Anyone else expecting like this?
Dek96

Post by Dek96 »

Having this as well on my 3 month old mid MY24 Volvo XC40 B3 plus. Judders as I approach 40 mph and goes into limp mode. Restart car fixes it but seems to be happening every week or two. I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday!
Tom33

Post by Tom33 »

Dek96 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:12 pm Having this as well on my 3 month old mid MY24 Volvo XC40 B3 plus. Judders as I approach 40 mph and goes into limp mode. Restart car fixes it but seems to be happening every week or two. I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday!
Any luck to replace a car or get your money back?
Embers

Post by Embers »

Hi
My XC40 b3 has gone in to limp mode 4 times in the first 6months. It happens at the same junction which is on a slight incline and is probably one of the few times I put my foot down a bit more. 3 times they have replaced the spark plugs plus on the 3rd occasion Volvo dialled into the car at the dealership remotely and suggested an oil and oil filter change too. The dealer encouraged me to reject the vehicle. The finance company sent an independent technician who could not recreate it but did find 26 other errors. Still waiting on decision of their findings.
It's due back in the dealership next week for the 4th limp mode error but I wondered if anyone has had a resolution yet?
Tom33

Post by Tom33 »

My ex Volvo XC40 B3 MY24 rejected for the same reason. Waiting for refund from Volvo Finance Services UK.
dapaca

Post by dapaca »

I've noticed mine juddering under acceleration recently. It feels as though it's hunting for the right gear - not smooth (as it used to be) at all. No warning lights or limp mode experienced though. I put it down to 'Drivetrain Improvements', and hoped that future updates will correct it, as I haven't had time to query it with the dealer.
MY23 B4 Ultimate Dark in Thunder Grey.