Sunroof Bulge

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Anyone have a similar issue with their panoramic sunroof?

Mine does not sit flush with the roof on both the driver and passenger side. Almost as if the glass were molded for a different profile roof than what ultimately ended up in the design of the XC-40.

The attached picture may be hard to tell but the bulge is roughly .5cm above where the rest of the glass sits when closed. The problem manifests itself not just as a visual issue but through wind noise coming in at the two points where the glass bulges upward.

I have taken the problem to the service department at my dealer and they seem to agree that it is an issue and have since referred the problem to the factory rep. Unfortunately, as yet I have no feedback or resolution but do remain hopeful that Volvo will make it right.

Just wondered if anyone else who has taken delivery has noticed a similar issue?

Sunroof Bulge.jpg

XC-40 Momentum | T5 | Amazon Blue with White Roof | 19" White Alloys

Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Mine looks very similar. Can't say I've noticed extra wind noise though and hopefully it will stay water tight !!
It will interesting to hear what they say about it.
Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

My car has the same sunroof bulge. It seems, from lack of replies, most cars must have flat sunroofs. I will ask the dealer about it when my car is in for it’s 3 month check next week.

A5C50C68-4308-41D2-B669-FF1143BD0F26.jpeg

Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Mine sunroof is as the op and the other pics on here, with the bulge. I checked the 2 demo cars at the dealers and they're the same too. I also noticed 3 new xc60's with similar sun roof had the same 'bulge' so maybe it's meant to be that way?

Definitely doesn't leak as been through some bad weather with the car and there is zero wind noise from it so all good there. Would be interested to know what the op's dealer says on this.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

I will keep you guys posted on what the rep says once I get a reply.

In any case, I definitely am getting wind noise at that part of the sunroof on both the passenger and driver side. The only good thing is that there is no water leakage but that could be do to the fact that the internal drains are doing their job.

Seems like a crazy design if that was their intent as the amount of glass touching the insulation at that point is minimal, if at all. Seems to me that whoever cut the mold for the sunroof glass was out of sync with the guy who did the roof profile.
XC-40 Momentum | T5 | Amazon Blue with White Roof | 19" White Alloys
Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

Was at dealer today and asked them to check sunroof. They said because other XC40s at the dealership look similar it must be designed that way. The demonstrator XC40 I looked at was virtually flat and acceptable to me but that was ignored. Will be really interested to hear the response from Volvo. Not impressed by my supplying dealer at all and will probably travel 60 miles to another for future service.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Just checked mine. A very minor raising of the forward part of the side edge on both sides but nothing like the photos posted. Also had no wind noise problems.

But - and this may be relevant to others - I decided to try presssing down gently on each raised side. The glass pressed down easily into the surround. Opened the roof and closed it again. Glass seemed to fit more snugly after this. Don’t think that can be a long term solution but the fact I could press it down must mean there is scope for some adjustment (Could it? I am very non auto techy).
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
raystef

Post by raystef »

Having the same bulge. Left side even more then right. Even it was intensional, the left and reight side should be the same. Definitely a bulge and a molding error imo. Dealer hadn't heard about it and was going to verify this when I would came in for some other things.

Image7113645800802740270.jpg

Image6454158714411554091.jpg

Image3560086917379412603.jpg

Image127339548338114184.jpg

Image7601359655374889221.jpg

Volvoguy

Post by Volvoguy »

This can be easily adjusted. It should have been done in factory however
squint

Post by squint »

I have just noticed this on my 2 months old car after driving with roof open for the first time.
Likewise worse on left side and when pushed down is flatter.

Did anyone manage to get problem rectified?
Last edited by squint on Wed May 06, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps