Rain Sensing Wipers - Something Wrong?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Yosh wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 pm Same problem. The wipers don't react to amount of rain, but act like old style intermittent wipers.

What's with the three month check-up? Is this some kind of Volvo policy? Where is it written?

Thanks.
Which country are you in? In the UK it's shown in the service book as an option.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Yosh

Post by Yosh »

I'm in the US. I don't see it in the service option, but there is no reason that I can't take it in to the dealer to look at it.
Teeceee

Post by Teeceee »

ok, hadnt twigged that just using the switch only activated the intermittent (timed) wipers...

pressing the pad doe actually make them work in a proper rain sensing way.
XC40 FE D4 ordered in White with 20's... might be lucky and have it in May
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

Do rain sensing wipers REALLY sense the rain ?

When introducing the car, dealer told me that "when the rain starts , you should tap the wiper stick wide button to activate the rain sensing wipers".
After pressing that button, rain sensing wipers icon comes to dreiver display, rain sensing function activates and sensitivity can be adjusted by the bezel . No prblem after that.

But my car's wipers never sense the rain. Vision becomes almost invisible because of rain drops on the windshield but the wipers dont sense and dont activate. I have to tap the wiper stick .

Is this normal or I am missing anything ? What should I do wipers will start automatically .
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

On mine, I pressed the rain sensor activation button once and it has stayed on after that. When it senses the rain, it starts automatically without me doing anything and the speed increases depending on the amount of rain. In order to have the sensor turn on automatically once the car starts, you need to activate the rain sensor's memory function. Per the manual:

Using the rain sensor's memory function
The rain sensor automatically starts the windscreen wipers based on how much water it detects on the windscreen.

Activating/deactivating the memory function

The memory function for the rain sensor can be activated in such a way that the rain sensor button does not need to be depressed each time the car is started:
1. Press Settings in the top view in the centre display.
2. Press My Car -> Wipers.
3. Select Rain Sensor Memory to activate/deactivate the memory function.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

This is one of XC40 confusing functionalities. In all other cars I had equipped with rain sensor, automatic wiper action was activated by moving the wiper stick up in the first position (intermediate position). In the XC40, with the wiper stick in the neutral position, you have to click on the wiper stick to activate the rain sensor functionality and a small icon will appear on the dashboard. Moving the stick in the intermediate position will actually override the rain sensor and you’ll get only a timed wipe no matter the amount of rain on the windshield.
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

Yes, it is different from other cars I've had but honestly, I don't think it's confusing at all. Got used to it in no time. As always, reading the manual helps.
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

Sorry for the inconvenience.
The problem with me is as usual. I surely did the rain sensor setting. But now I figured out that I have to overwrite driver profile with this setting. If not, next time I start the car, the setting goes off and wipers don't start automatically.
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT
iknowgungfu

Post by iknowgungfu »

I must admit I am confused with this too. I have the stalk in 0 position. When I press the activate button I don't see a symbol on the driver display?

In settings Rain Sensor Memory is selected. Any ideas?
iknowgungfu

Post by iknowgungfu »

Forgot to mention I'm on a B4 r design pro.