Compilation albums not recognised on USB

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

Hello All,
A plea for help! I cannot get compilation albums to show as a single album I can play on USB. For example a Radio 1 Live Lounge album shows as separate tracks.
I have carefully been through every album making sure the album artist shows correctly and the album is checked as a compilation.
This issue is not limited to compilation albums but occurs in some albums by a single group or artist.
I use iTunes to create the USB.
Are there any better software options out there?
Going mad with this so any advice would be much appreciated.
XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May

Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

Here’s a picture to show what I mean.
The impact is that the album can’t be played as a single entity.

DFB5393D-9AFE-4C27-A19A-19A2951743D0.jpeg

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Ummm. Not sure I have an answer. I've rather parked the compilations/album artist interaction on USB as possibly being too complicated to work out. Though I am sure we can work it out...

Quick question - have you set album (rather than album artist) to a single name?
Perhaps also if you put up piccy's of your metadata that might also help for everyone to look at.

I am thinking though that Sensus might create a separate item for each file where both album and album artist are different. I only hope that isn't the case.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Just to add when I was looking at this a few months back (in passing), I think I was getting hacked off that on USB I was getting an instance for every album artist, and these normally came about through compilations, that I was thinking about amending album artist to "Various artists" and move album artist data to "comments/other" but that then runs counter to my metadata logic.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Can’t comment on the Sensus as I don’t have the XC40 yet.
In the metadata for all of my compilation albums I tag <album artist> as “Various Artist” and the <artist> field for each individual track as the track artist. This seems to work just as expected and the album shows up as a single album in my current car’s infotainment system.

As a lot of tracks appear on multiple compilation albums one trick I’ve used in the past is to create a “Various Artist” folder on the usb and rather than just blindly copying all of the compilation albums to the usb I select all of the tracks I want and put them in the “Various Artist” folder. Once in there I change all of tracks album name to “My Favourites”. I leave the original album artwork intact. This saves a hell of a lot of room on the usb stick and I have all my favourites in one place. Whilst the track is playing you see the original albums artwork.

I’m looking forward to tinkering with the Sensus but after seeing some of the comments in these forums I have to say a little trepidation is creeping in...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

Boomer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm Ummm. Not sure I have an answer. I've rather parked the compilations/album artist interaction on USB as possibly being too complicated to work out. Though I am sure we can work it out...

Quick question - have you set album (rather than album artist) to a single name?
Perhaps also if you put up piccy's of your metadata that might also help for everyone to look at.

I am thinking though that Sensus might create a separate item for each file where both album and album artist are different. I only hope that isn't the case.
Thanks for the comments Boomer and Rifleman.
Firstly here are a couple of pix showing metadata:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Chelsey, are you using I-tunes because are using a Mac or do you have access to a pc?
I-tunes is not the best software for managing metadata by a long, long way...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

I am using a Mac but it is running Windows (bootcamp).
But some of my music was bought from ITunes and I am not particularly keen to rebuild the entire library from scratch.

What application would you recommend?
Deleted User 960

Post by Deleted User 960 »

I have the same problem as you Cholsey - despite spending weeks (yes weeks!!!) ripping tracks to FLAC using EAC, and then meticulously sorting the metadata using MP3tag. Not sure if it's all my 'various artist' compilations, but certainly some of them appear as individual album for each track. Having OCD is a nightmare, 'cos I've got figure out a way of fixing it......

Will let you know how I got on with resolving.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Cholsey wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm I am using a Mac but it is running Windows (bootcamp).
But some of my music was bought from ITunes and I am not particularly keen to rebuild the entire library from scratch.

What application would you recommend?
A pc utility called “MediaMonkey”. It’s brilliant, I used it to rip my entire cd collection a few years ago. It’s metadata editor is the best I could find and it allows for batch processing of multiple files to speed up the process. You can download a trial version to try it out but you need to purchase it to use all of its facilities.