Polestar

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Hes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:14 pm 17B2E9F6-6083-4335-8810-55436B3B457D.jpeg

White on white
I rest my case!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar

Hes

Post by Hes »

My dealer has a few older blue badges and asked me which I’d like - I went with the blue!
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Car in for its first service (plus an engine management light... uh oh) after a year of slightly disappointing D4 use. Asked if they had any D4 Polestar courtesy cars so I could try before I buy, and I've been given an XC60 D4 Polestar. Now I had an 2016 XC60 D5 Polestar before my XC40, and I loved that car! so this was an interesting comparison on both counts.

Wow.

If it has the same performance and gear shifting improvements, and if it's shifting the heavier and bigger XC60 as well as it did, then a polestar'd XC40 is going to be spectacular!

I'm hoping the service + Polestar might fix my average of 32mpg for the year, when I was getting 36 in my XC60 D5. I've told the dealer I am concerned at that, I'm not sure they picked up on it though. How have people found their economy on the D4 Polestar?
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Tell you what, first impressions are that the XC60 D4 Polestar is smoother and pokier than the XC40 D4 Polestar.... Kind of wish I hadn't had the XC60 as a courtesy car now. I've got 14 days to try it out though, so lets see what difference it makes on the commute tomorrow, and on a weekend away.
razashah5

Post by razashah5 »

Hi. Could anyone who has had their XC40 Polestarred let me know how they've found the difference? Are the performance updates very noticeable? And any idea on the cost to have this done?
Thanks
T4 Inscription Pro - Crystal White - Xenium Pack - Intellisafe Pro
johnd

Post by johnd »

razashah5 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am Hi. Could anyone who has had their XC40 Polestarred let me know how they've found the difference? Are the performance updates very noticeable? And any idea on the cost to have this done?
If you care to pause for one second and review this thread, you'll see that it started with what is essentially exactly the same question. So there's plenty of material here in the 19 pages posted so far to answer the question. Price does seem to vary from time to time but it's somewhere around the £700-800 mark less any discount that you might be able to get a cooperative dealer to offer.
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

For what it's worth, my Polestar was £675 on a dealer special last week.

I'm underwhelmed. There is an improvement for sure, but it's nowhere near as good or noticeable as I'd hoped, and I'm finding auto gear selection a lot more muddled and less smooth, and somehow it really seems to have highlighted the laginess of the car from a standing start (at junctions)

Phoned the dealer up today to enquire about getting my engine warning light fixed (which they were going to call me about last week and appear to have completely forgotten about - gee thanks) and mentioned I might want to get my Polestar removed before the 14 days. He seemed extremely surprised, and enquired why. I said I wasn't finding the performance improvement to match my expectation and experience on the XC60. He rabbited on about it not being a performance improvement but a change in the mid range (yes, I know that, he clearly thought I'd expected it to be 0-60, but it's still a performance improvement, just in the mid range!) and it would be a long term improvement in economy. Now nowhere has any of the literature mentioned anything about an improvement in economy / efficiency - that's not what it's sold as.

Part of me thinks he was trying to say something to make me keep it, but..... Has anyone with a Polestar on a D4 noticed a fuel economy improvement since they've had it? One thing I've been VERY disappointed in has been fuel efficiency (34ish mpg, vs my old XC60 D5 Polestar at 36)
johnd

Post by johnd »

@James Blonde - that's a useful report. But just to be 100% clear: It sounds like you must have a D4 that's been P*'d; the results on eg a T5 could feel significantly different?
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Hi, I have a Polestarred D4 R-Design Pro and I am getting around 30.5 m.p.g. at the moment. Hopefully this will improve as the engine loosens up a bit. My last car was a 2005 S60 D5 and I was getting around 38-40 m.p.g. on that.
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

@Johnd - yes, mines is a D4 auto, I'd expect the T5 to be different.

@Tyson - Yes, that was kind of my experience with the D5. Makes no sense for a bigger engine, polestared, in (in my case) a bigger car to be more fuel efficient