Polestar

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

senwar wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:59 pm Does anyone know if this can be done on a lease vehicle? I know I can ask the question directly to the dealer but thought I'd ask here first.

Well mine is on a Volvo PCP. The dealer never flagged it as an issue, and I didn’t check directly with Santander (aka Volvo Finance). Thinking about it, a leasing company should be quite happy. It adds value to their asset at no extra cost to them, and the vehicle remains within the warranty. They either get a better vehicle back at the end of the term, or if the customer keeps it then no problem either.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

senwar

Post by senwar »

Cheers pjm. Could be tempted by this
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm
SquirrelGT wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 am Has anyone had it done on the T4?

We're just about to order and maybe we should specify the T5 instead.
Are you in the UK? It only seems to be available on the D4 & T5 to date. Your dealer may be able to find out if it will be coming for the T4.
Yes i'm in the UK. It's an option on the Volvo UK configurator for the T4.
T4 R-Design Pro | Osmium Grey | Ordered 13th Oct | Scheduled Delivery 18th Feb
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

SquirrelGT wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10 am
pjm007 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm
SquirrelGT wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 am Has anyone had it done on the T4?

We're just about to order and maybe we should specify the T5 instead.
Are you in the UK? It only seems to be available on the D4 & T5 to date. Your dealer may be able to find out if it will be coming for the T4.
Yes i'm in the UK. It's an option on the Volvo UK configurator for the T4.
Don’t think it being in the configurator guarantees it is available as an add-on. Maybe check the Polestar website?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I had the Polestar treatment applied to my car about 2 weeks after I got it but to be brutally honest, I'm not sure I can tell the difference from stock - either that or my expectations aren't in line with what difference it should be making to my car.

I had ummed and ahhed about having it done but as I managed to get it for a good discount (on top of the already discounted price of £695) and with only a very limited time in which to take the offer up, I decided to have it done. Considering the dealer only had around 2 hours notice from me to have it done (I'd actually taken my car in for the sunroof looking at, a somewhat common problem it seems on some FEs) I was surprised they were able to apply the Polestar treatment, complete with new boot sticker attached and supply the Polestar box all within that time - very efficient I thought!

The single biggest reason I had it done was to sort out the gearbox lag both from a standing start (which I admit I was advised wouldn't make any difference but thought it might at least help) and in-gear acceleration which had a noticeable delay in response from planting the go pedal to the car actually responding.

What I've found post-Polestar is that the car does actually get up and go without any noticeable lag from a standing start now but in-gear acceleration still has a delay. There is the added complication of turbo lag, especially on a diesel but even taking this into account, the gearbox still seems a bit slow to respond. When I press the go pedal going from say a 30 into a 40 or 40 into a 50, there's a delay while the gearbox kicks down but somehow I thought the Polestar software was supposed to ensure this wasn't necessary?

The other thing I've found is that going into a corner, the gearbox doesn't seem to hold revs so that power is available on the exit - again, I thought Polestar was supposed to hold onto gears and revs? It's hard to explain but when I brake it's like the revs are allowed to die down to the point where the turbo is no longer on boost and therefore the power isn't immediately available when exiting the bend.

Am I simply not driving the car as it's meant to be driven with Polestar applied or is something amiss? I have sent off for my official certificate from the Polestar website so I should at least get an official confirmation that it's been applied but otherwise I'd feel like a right numpty if I asked for proof from the dealer that it's actually been applied and they've not just supplied me with a sticker and box!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I’m not supposed to be posting anymore (see Sold it! thread) but it sounds like you have a badge and a box and not much more! Or - are you driving too gently? Try more sustained welly?
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

First off, commiserations on selling the car pjm, you're practically an ambassador for the XC40! I appreciate the input though.

You could be right in that I'm not the most enthusiastic driver in the world and some might even describe my style of driving as 'Christian' so perhaps that's why I'm not seeing the benefit?

Having said that, should the car not be more rev happy and not be letting the revs drop down so much when off throttle or does it not work like that? Is it simply my driving style that needs to change? Apologies if this has all been explained once or several times already.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

It’s hard to diagnose remotely scottpcs but two observations - don’t forget the improvements are mostly aimed at the mid-range and are not about lower revs, and re. your off throttle comments check out the description here:-

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/financ ... /optimised

where it’s clear that off throttle response should be optimised. If it’s not, maybe you do need your upgrade checking out.

Oh, and re. your comment on braking - minimise it and drive through the roundabouts etc. - the updated rear wheeel stickability with AWD should mean you can just keep it going!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

scottpcs wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm I had the Polestar treatment applied to my car about 2 weeks after I got it but to be brutally honest, I'm not sure I can tell the difference from stock - either that or my expectations aren't in line with what difference it should be making to my car.

I had ummed and ahhed about having it done but as I managed to get it for a good discount (on top of the already discounted price of £695) and with only a very limited time in which to take the offer up, I decided to have it done. Considering the dealer only had around 2 hours notice from me to have it done (I'd actually taken my car in for the sunroof looking at, a somewhat common problem it seems on some FEs) I was surprised they were able to apply the Polestar treatment, complete with new boot sticker attached and supply the Polestar box all within that time - very efficient I thought!

The single biggest reason I had it done was to sort out the gearbox lag both from a standing start (which I admit I was advised wouldn't make any difference but thought it might at least help) and in-gear acceleration which had a noticeable delay in response from planting the go pedal to the car actually responding.

What I've found post-Polestar is that the car does actually get up and go without any noticeable lag from a standing start now but in-gear acceleration still has a delay. There is the added complication of turbo lag, especially on a diesel but even taking this into account, the gearbox still seems a bit slow to respond. When I press the go pedal going from say a 30 into a 40 or 40 into a 50, there's a delay while the gearbox kicks down but somehow I thought the Polestar software was supposed to ensure this wasn't necessary?

The other thing I've found is that going into a corner, the gearbox doesn't seem to hold revs so that power is available on the exit - again, I thought Polestar was supposed to hold onto gears and revs? It's hard to explain but when I brake it's like the revs are allowed to die down to the point where the turbo is no longer on boost and therefore the power isn't immediately available when exiting the bend.

Am I simply not driving the car as it's meant to be driven with Polestar applied or is something amiss? I have sent off for my official certificate from the Polestar website so I should at least get an official confirmation that it's been applied but otherwise I'd feel like a right numpty if I asked for proof from the dealer that it's actually been applied and they've not just supplied me with a sticker and box!
scottpcs I have arranged for my XC40 FE D4 due in October to receive the Polestar Optimisation upgrade prior to delivery at the discounted price of £695. The Volvo Dealership will be carrying out the upgrade and I would be grateful to have an indication of your further discount ?

With my XC40 being brand new I will have no idea about the before and after effects of Polestar, but Dealerships have too much to lose just to provide a customer with a sticker and a box. For peace of mind I would have the Dealer re check the upgrade.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XC40 | FE | D4 | AWD | Crystal White | Charcoal | 20" | Ordered 14th March | Est Delivery 31st May | 2nd Confirmed Delivery 9th October | Polestar Ordered
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Thanks for your comments pjm, you've certainly given me a couple of points to think about.

As it happens, the car is at the dealer for a week next week to have a few things looked at (mainly replacing the sunroof seal amongst other things) so I'll ask them to check the upgrade over then. I would've thought a simple printout would confirm that it's been done and therefore it's down to me if the optimisation is doing what it should?

I agree that these things are difficult to diagnose from afar so I'll try my best to keep you updated once I've tried your suggestions and quizzed the dealer. Surely it would be at best a faux pas for the dealer to charge me for the upgrade but then not actually apply it whether by mistake or (shock horror) on purpose so I can't imagine for a second that this is the case.

In regards to the further discount Julian B, I am a member of the IAM and they have an affinity scheme with Volvo which entitles me to certain discounts, including on the car itself and any accessories. The discount on the Polestar was 10% as it's classed as an accessory so the price I paid was £625.50 but it had to be on the original invoice for the car, hence the short time I had to make a decision. I was told that if I was buying the upgrade separately from the car then I wouldn't have got the 10% discount but being me I wouldn't have left it at that!