Polestar

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:55 pm
MrParkson wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:33 pm I'm wondering if anyone has got the Polestar upgrade for the T5 engine? Would love to hear thoughts on that, will more than likely get it for mine at some point.
Telboy was planning to get it. Any news Tel?
It's on, with shiny badge too :D

So, have to say I echo the comments of PJM007 and allroad.

Only done 10 miles with it on with a quick blast down a dual carriage way so early days.

Gearbox; defo more responsive and in dynamic mode as PJM007 suggested, it brings out the best of both the power upgrade and auto box.

Performance, no huge gains as expected 0-60, however the additional torque and BHP (40flbt and 20bhp mid range) make a decent shove for the T5 going down the road, certainly surprised my mate who was following in his torquey diesel. Have to say it was actually quite impressive for a baby suv.

Not sure it's worth the £695 (soon to go back up to normal price of over £800) as I know I can have the engine mapped for about £250 and gearbox for around £200, however great thing with the polestar of course is it doesn't impact your warranty and does add a little value to your car apparently come resale time.

I'm due to take the car on a long trip to Leicester from Bournemouth next week, best return so far for a 100 mile trip has been 38mpg so will be good to see how the optimisation pack helps or hinders with that, I suspect it will help by a little margin as the car has a fair bit more torque now.

One final thing from me for now on this, I gauge the effectiveness of any performance upgrade by how it feels and whether it brings a smile to my face, and I have to say, it certainly did on the dual carriageway :-)
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Great review Telboy, thanks.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

Thanks for the reviews. Is polestar going to be available for the D3?
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

trjim2k5 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:18 pm Thanks for the reviews. Is polestar going to be available for the D3?
It's available as an option for the T3 so I'd imagine so
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Thanks Telboy! that's pretty much what I was wanting/expecting to hear, would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are after the longer journey aswell. I still have a £300 voucher from Volvo UK at my disposal so it should be a no brainer for me really.

I wish the standard mapping would use more of the available torque, instead it seems too eager to drop a gear unnecessarily. Driving in Eco mode does make better use of the torque, but also slows everything else down. That mid range torque will be the big seller for me I think.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:00 pm Great review Telboy, thanks.
You're welcome PJM007 :D
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

MrParkson wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:48 pm Thanks Telboy! that's pretty much what I was wanting/expecting to hear, would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are after the longer journey aswell. I still have a £300 voucher from Volvo UK at my disposal so it should be a no brainer for me really.

I wish the standard mapping would use more of the available torque, instead it seems too eager to drop a gear unnecessarily. Driving in Eco mode does make better use of the torque, but also slows everything else down. That mid range torque will be the big seller for me I think.
Will certainly report back post the longer journey with my findings.

For you with a £300 voucher is defo a no brainer, and I can confirm the mid range on the car now is so much better, you'll have plenty of these :D
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

q3billy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:20 pm
trjim2k5 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:18 pm Thanks for the reviews. Is polestar going to be available for the D3?
Where did you see that info q3?

I think it's only for D4s and T5s currently. Also, isn't the T3 only available with a manual gearbox? I think at least 3 out of the 5 optimisations are only applicable to an auto box.
Last edited by pjm007 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 pm
q3billy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:20 pm
Where did you see that info q3?

I think it's only for D4s and T5s currently. Also, isn't the T3 only available with a manual gearbox? I think 4 out of the 5 optimisations are only applicable to an auto box.
I'm just going by the available options on the Volvo configurator.
After all, I've looked at configurators for different countries and the options vary greatly depending on engine and trim level so I'd imagine Volvo would have done the same with us here and not allowed it to be added to order if you couldn't actually have it? That would make sense to me... :lol:
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

q3billy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:06 pm
I'm just going by the available options on the Volvo configurator.
After all, I've looked at configurators for different countries and the options vary greatly depending on engine and trim level so I'd imagine Volvo would have done the same with us here and not allowed it to be added to order if you couldn't actually have it? That would make sense to me... :lol:
Yes - I am pretty sure the configurator is wrong. The latest price list is clear that its only for the D4 & T5 currently, but the definive source is the Polestar website

https://engineered.polestar.com/intl/up ... &market=uk

Even it was available for the manual T3 there would be little point in installing it even if you could.

By the way, there are upgrades available for older cars, for example the V40 with D3 and T3 engines (from years 2013-2015) including manual versions, so there may be some hope they will eventually be launched for the XC40 (?). T4 also.