Polestar

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 pm I’m not supposed to be posting anymore (see Sold it! thread) but it sounds like you have a badge and a box and not much more ;) ! Or - are you driving too gently? Try more sustained welly?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

Not seen much from the T5 pole*'d.

Any updates T5'ers.
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

scottpcs wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 am Thanks for your comments pjm, you've certainly given me a couple of points to think about.

As it happens, the car is at the dealer for a week next week to have a few things looked at (mainly replacing the sunroof seal amongst other things) so I'll ask them to check the upgrade over then. I would've thought a simple printout would confirm that it's been done and therefore it's down to me if the optimisation is doing what it should?

I agree that these things are difficult to diagnose from afar so I'll try my best to keep you updated once I've tried your suggestions and quizzed the dealer. Surely it would be at best a faux pas for the dealer to charge me for the upgrade but then not actually apply it whether by mistake or (shock horror) on purpose so I can't imagine for a second that this is the case.

In regards to the further discount Julian B, I am a member of the IAM and they have an affinity scheme with Volvo which entitles me to certain discounts, including on the car itself and any accessories. The discount on the Polestar was 10% as it's classed as an accessory so the price I paid was £625.50 but it had to be on the original invoice for the car, hence the short time I had to make a decision. I was told that if I was buying the upgrade separately from the car then I wouldn't have got the 10% discount but being me I wouldn't have left it at that!
Many thanks scottpcs for the Polestar costing info. Hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction next week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XC40 | FE | D4 | AWD | 20" | Crystal White | Charcoal | Ordered 14th March | Est Delivery 31st May | Delivery 9th October ? | Polestar Ordered.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

A question for you guys who have had the polestar upgrade.
Is there any guarantee period from polestar regarding free updates should they come up with improvements/bug fixes in the future?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Ok, so I have some more observations and thoughts having done some more testing.

I tried the 'Dynamic' drive mode yesterday and the car was unbelievably responsive, hanging onto gears and giving instant throttle response at practically any given speed and no matter whether it was in a corner or straight-line. It's exactly what I was expecting from the upgrade and it completely transformed the car but then I reverted to the 'Comfort' drive mode that I use every day and it's like the car takes a little time to 'wake up' whenever the throttle is depressed. It is smooth, however, if I use the throttle gently and consistently rather than stabbing at it for a burst of acceleration, at which point the car hesitates, kicks down a gear then surges forward - not exactly what I'd describe as a responsive throttle.

It led me to think that the Polestar upgrade is perhaps optimised for the Dynamic mode and not Comfort? My experience just doesn't match up to what others have reported unless I'm in Dynamic mode and the car seems much more laid back in Comfort mode as I'm trying my best to describe.

As I've said, I'll get the dealer to check the upgrade over when it goes in next week but in the meantime, Polestar have written back to confirm that 'your Volvo is optimised with Polestar correctly. All checked and confirmed!' so I can only take that at face value for now (how would Polestar know that the software has physically been installed at the dealer I wonder? Does the car generate a code once installed that the dealer then passes back to them perhaps?)
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

scottpcs......your experience of Polestar is the same as mine (see my thoughts on page 10).
As you say, the key to getting the best from comfort mode is a smooth use of the throttle.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

pp67 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:47 pm scottpcs......your experience of Polestar is the same as mine (see my thoughts on page 10).
As you say, the key to getting the best from comfort mode is a smooth use of the throttle.
I've just re-read your post pp67 and I agree entirely, it exactly describes my experience.

I keep seeing the same terms and phrases cropping up in reports from others with most reporting 'no lag' and 'greatly improved throttle response' but it's not always clear what drive mode is being used. I certainly find it difficult to believe that our experience is so far removed from these claims when using the 'Comfort' drive mode.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Christoph99

Post by Christoph99 »

Anyone Polestarred a T4 AWD yet? Recommendations? Thx!
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I don't believe the T4 can be Polestarred Christoph99 unless things have changed in the last month or so? As others have said, only the D4 and T5 are listed on Polestar's website even though it may be on the Volvo configurator for all engines.

I've had a further update from Polestar themselves regarding drive modes who say the following:

"You will have the increased power and torque in every mode. But, the biggest difference is set in “dynamic” mode which the throttle response and gearbox function is improved for faster overtakings etc."

So it appears to be confirmed then that their optimisation claims apply to Dynamic but with the power and torque increases applicable to all modes. That sits perfectly with my observations.
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Chris-croft wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 am Not seen much from the T5 pole*'d.

Any updates T5'ers.
So my car is on 5,500 miles of which the last 1,000 have been with the polestar on - T5 FE.

MPG has improved by smallish margin, especially around town which always helps, my long term mpg over the last 3,500 miles is now 33.8 calculated.

In gear in any mode the car feels livelier, the extra torque certainly helping here, however as others have mentioned and I believe as Polestar have programmed the car to be, Dynamic mode is where the biggest improvements are in all aspects, certainly makes for a nippy little suv.

Still not 100% on whether it is worth £695 (soon to go back up to over £800), although knowing my warranty is not impacted makes all the difference.

Hope this helps.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D