Eco Drive dial - Does anyone understand it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

As per the title. With over 5,000 miles and 3 months of ownership I haven't really understood what the dial indicates. I'm talking about the dial on the driver display that replaces the rev counter when in eco mode.

For example:

- there's a marker on the outside of the dial, I don't get that
- the needle moves clockwise round to the 3 o'clock position when auto stop kicks in, why?
- the "ready" text is sometimes bold sometimes not, I don't get it
- and just what is the needle / dial indicating, is it power usage, rev's, or what? I haven't worked it out.

I could read the manual but that wouldn't be fun. Although I did read the manual when the car was new and I don't remember seeing an explanation?

Anyone able to explain?

andygou

Post by andygou »

No worries early adopter - the manual isn't much help in answering your questions anyway!

As far as I can make out, the gauge is a glorified vacuum gauge (remember them?) as it does seem to vary with throttle opening.

However, there are a few added gizmos which seem to be of limited value:

The little pointer on the outside is meant to represent where a (presumably good) reference driver would have the needle, i.e. if you are below that you are an eco-driving star.

Sorry, I can't answer your other queries, hope someone can!
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

early adopter wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 pm
- there's a marker on the outside of the dial, I don't get that
- the needle moves clockwise round to the 3 o'clock position when auto stop kicks in, why?
- the "ready" text is sometimes bold sometimes not, I don't get it
- and just what is the needle / dial indicating, is it power usage, rev's, or what? I haven't worked it out.

Anyone able to explain?

Watched mine in operation today having read your post.

- Marker - nothing to add to the last reply by andygou;
- I think the needle goes to 3 o’clock when the automatic brake kicks in (and start-stop hasn’t) because that’s not very Eco. The engine is idling while you aren’t moving. If start-stop kicks in additionally, the needle goes to 9 o’clock because that’s very Eco - ie no engine idling;
- My READY is always in caps but I don’t think bold. Do you mean bold or capitals as opposed to lower case?;
- I think the dial simply indicates the degree of Eco “ness”. ie 9 o'clock indicates the most green and the best Eco position. 3 o'clock indicates least green and worst Eco scenario. It’s all meant to encourage the driver to keep the needle in the greenest part of the scale while driving. I don’t think it indicates units of anything at all.

Other thoughts most welcome.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I understand the manual may not be fun but I found this page which gives part of an official answer. I only found this after posting my thoughts above - honest!

87108E98-01B9-42DB-83C8-EA9E7407D499.jpeg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

Great response PJM, thanks.

I do mean bold. Its always caps but sometimes bold, or illuminated.
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

By the way, the illustration is optimistic to say the least. 600 miles range with 2/3rds of a tank left!
Luigiwhattt

Post by Luigiwhattt »

I currently obsess over what my mpg is. I have this on my display on the DS3 and if it’s more that 50 mpg, I’ve lost. This is going to be a nightmare for me. Fortnite for adults.
D3 Auto Inscription - Denim Blue with Blonde Leather - Winter Pack - Xenium Pack - IntelliSafe Pack - Spare Wheel.
Ordered 03/03/18 (Exeter)
Collection 21/07/18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

early adopter wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:24 pm Great response PJM, thanks.

I do mean bold. Its always caps but sometimes bold, or illuminated.
:?: I will keep an eye on it
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

In Eco mode, what happens when you remove your foot from the accelerator on an automatic? I’ve an automatic Audi just now, and it goes into a kind of freewheel mode and will just coast along without engine breaking kicking in. Interested if the XC does something similar?
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Yes, if you take your foot off the accelerator it comes up on the screen
Coasting Ready
Until you either accelerate or brake then it goes back to normal mode
T5 First edition Crystal White