A few days driving plus advice...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

chingf0rd wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 am Unfortunately, I don't think they do bursting blue touch up paint according to that website.
Back to the drawing board then. :)
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

balmoral wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 pm
chingf0rd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm
Chris-croft wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 pm I do hope the seats are OK, I think all my previous volvos have had superb seats. I know the xc40's are a little thinner in construction, compared to an XC60
Seats are nowhere near the quality of the new XC60 R-Design seats. They're ok, but I got some stresses and strains around my back and under thighs after 90 minutes or so driving. I think we were too used to the Freelander 2 seats which were like armchairs. Trying to move the lumbar around and extend the seat cushions to suit us as the moment.

Have to say that I too am finding the seats difficult to get used to. They are a lot firmer than any I have had in previous Volvos, probably more like the sort of seats that you seem to get in the 'premium' German brands so its probably OK for those moving from that sort of car. Still haven't covered much ground yet so I'm hoping that I will adapt to them in time (or the seats will adapt to me!). Will be clocking lots of miles up in Northumberland next week so that will be a good test!
I can't put my finger on why, but I also seem to struggle with getting a seating position I like. I think the support etc will be fine, it's just getting it to the right position in the first place. Adjusted the steering wheel again today to see if that helps.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Seats are nowhere near the quality of the new XC60 R-Design seats. They're ok, but I got some stresses and strains around my back and under thighs after 90 minutes or so driving. I think we were too used to the Freelander 2 seats which were like armchairs. Trying to move the lumbar around and extend the seat cushions to suit us as the moment.

Have to say that I too am finding the seats difficult to get used to. They are a lot firmer than any I have had in previous Volvos, probably more like the sort of seats that you seem to get in the 'premium' German brands so its probably OK for those moving from that sort of car. Still haven't covered much ground yet so I'm hoping that I will adapt to them in time (or the seats will adapt to me!). Will be clocking lots of miles up in Northumberland next week so that will be a good test!
I can't put my finger on why, but I also seem to struggle with getting a seating position I like. I think the support etc will be fine, it's just getting it to the right position in the first place. Adjusted the steering wheel again today to see if that helps.
So it's not just me then - I'm still forever tweaking the seat adjustments as I drive!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

No seating issues for me. Maybe just lucky with my original setting choices?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Chris-croft wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 pm I do hope the seats are OK, I think all my previous volvos have had superb seats. I know the xc40's are a little thinner in construction, compared to an XC60

I attended the XC40 launch, followed by a test drive in a First Edition. Thought it was a fabulous car with one reservation insufficient seat padding.
Whilst discussing the car brought seat padding and comfort to the attention of the sales manager, who assured me Volvo seats were renowned for their comfort and I would not find it to be a problem.
I placed an order for a First Edition and looking forward to delivery in October. I'm certain the seats will be OK, but it is a shame they are not of similar quality as the XC60.
Taff

Post by Taff »

I know this is quiet an old post but I was wondering how those that mentioned the comfort of the seats are getting on, I just cannot get the seat into a comfortable position, any tips appreciated.
Love the car otherwise.
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi Taff, I’ve just had a DSE assessment at work, which included setting the car up properly. Tips I was given were:
• seat as high as possible
• seat as far back as possible but comfortable to depress all the peddles
• knees lower than hips if possible - just a little
• body angle at the hip greater than 90 deg, about 20-30 deg back from vertical
• lumbar support as comfortable
• seat extension (if fitted) with space for a couple of fingers between the extension and back of knee.

Since doing that, not only is the car more comfortable, I’m sleeping a lot better too. I do find the seat base a little harder than I’d like ideally

Hope that helps.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Taff

Post by Taff »

Thanks for the information hdasmith, I will give those recommendations a try.
I have considered getting a gel pad for the cushion not sure if it will help.
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

With regard to the seats, in my 'R' model, the side bolsters do not seem to have enough stuffing in them, and they are going flat after about 2 months and 1600 miles. I will mention this at the 3 month check.
Boo22

Post by Boo22 »

ACertainAge the drivers side one on mine has collapsed within 2 weeks 😳
T5 1st Edition, Crystal White, 20" alloys, charcoal. Delighted owner since 13h Nov.