A few days driving plus advice...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

Right, I've now had a chance to drive a bit and play a bit with this new fangled Volvo.

Overall impression is that it is a fabulous piece of kit. Most of the driving has been on motorways and -omg- adaptive cruise control and pilot assist: where have you been all my life?? It's so good. I did not use any pedals for over 150 miles. Ridiculous and scared the missus.

The T5 is smooth and responsive; the infotainment and the Harmon Kardon system are light years ahead of the Meridian system from Land Rover.

Bad points: Seats are not terribly comfy at the moment and the seat position means the sun blind hits my head. I will get used to it I think. Same with judging the extremities of the car at the mo. Interior space is certainly at a premium compared to our old Freelander.

Biggest issue so far has been my dog and his wagging tail setting off the tailgate opening when he is hiding under the bumper! Meant the tailgate has shut on his crate door and caused minor scraping of the paintwork in the tailgate. We've found that the foot-waving tailgate may well be more trouble than it's worth. Oh, the Volvo steel grille is a great option too.

What's the best place to pick up a crystal white touch up pen?
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018

David56

Post by David56 »

www.volvopartshop.com do touch up sticks, I ordered one and quick and efficient delivery.
First Edition T5 in Fusion Red with 20" Alloys.
Now Sold
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

I do hope the seats are OK, I think all my previous volvos have had superb seats. I know the xc40's are a little thinner in construction, compared to an XC60

What's the steel grille?,
is it a luggage guard at the back?,
or have you changed the radiator grille at the front?,
or is it a food cooking accessory?
just interested. :D
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

Chris-croft wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 pm I do hope the seats are OK, I think all my previous volvos have had superb seats. I know the xc40's are a little thinner in construction, compared to an XC60

What's the steel grille?,
is it a luggage guard at the back?,
or have you changed the radiator grille at the front?,
or is it a food cooking accessory?
just interested. :D
Seats are nowhere near the quality of the new XC60 R-Design seats. They're ok, but I got some stresses and strains around my back and under thighs after 90 minutes or so driving. I think we were too used to the Freelander 2 seats which were like armchairs. Trying to move the lumbar around and extend the seat cushions to suit us as the moment.

The steel grille is this one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=507&p=4885#p4885

Can't barbecue anything on this grille. Can lower the rear seat and see our doggy's crate though.
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

chingf0rd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:46 pm Biggest issue so far has been my dog and his wagging tail setting off the tailgate opening when he is hiding under the bumper! Meant the tailgate has shut on his crate door and caused minor scraping of the paintwork in the tailgate. We've found that the foot-waving tailgate may well be more trouble than it's worth.
I think I'd agree! I can't consistently make it work with the foot wave. And we had it decide to open when my other half was connecting the towbar electrics, it whacked his head but I luckily managed to stop it before it hit the bike carrier. Shame you got scraping.
I found some small but quite deep scratches above my passenger door handle on Sunday evening . . so I think I'll need that touch up link too!
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am
I can't consistently make it work with the foot wave.
Morning Kirstie. Although you might wish the feature was disconnected, the foot needs to “kick” not “wave”!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
David56

Post by David56 »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 am
I can't consistently make it work with the foot wave.
Morning Kirstie. Although you might wish the feature was disconnected, the foot needs to “kick” not “wave”!
I was told by the delivery driver of my car to give a straight ahead kicking action right below the parking sensor just to the left hand side of the number plate....it hasn't failed as yet for me.
First Edition T5 in Fusion Red with 20" Alloys.
Now Sold
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

chingf0rd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:46 pm Biggest issue so far has been my dog and his wagging tail setting off the tailgate opening when he is hiding under the bumper! Meant the tailgate has shut on his crate door and caused minor scraping of the paintwork in the tailgate. We've found that the foot-waving tailgate may well be more trouble than it's worth.
I think I'd agree! I can't consistently make it work with the foot wave. And we had it decide to open when my other half was connecting the towbar electrics, it whacked his head but I luckily managed to stop it before it hit the bike carrier. Shame you got scraping.
I found some small but quite deep scratches above my passenger door handle on Sunday evening . . so I think I'll need that touch up link too!
Unfortunately, I don't think they do bursting blue touch up paint according to that website.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

chingf0rd wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm
Chris-croft wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 pm I do hope the seats are OK, I think all my previous volvos have had superb seats. I know the xc40's are a little thinner in construction, compared to an XC60
Seats are nowhere near the quality of the new XC60 R-Design seats. They're ok, but I got some stresses and strains around my back and under thighs after 90 minutes or so driving. I think we were too used to the Freelander 2 seats which were like armchairs. Trying to move the lumbar around and extend the seat cushions to suit us as the moment.

Have to say that I too am finding the seats difficult to get used to. They are a lot firmer than any I have had in previous Volvos, probably more like the sort of seats that you seem to get in the 'premium' German brands so its probably OK for those moving from that sort of car. Still haven't covered much ground yet so I'm hoping that I will adapt to them in time (or the seats will adapt to me!). Will be clocking lots of miles up in Northumberland next week so that will be a good test!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 am Morning Kirstie. Although you might wish the feature was disconnected, the foot needs to “kick” not “wave”!
I have tried that too, but didn't have much joy. I don't use the boot that often, if it was daily I guess I might manage to get the knack of it. I'm concerned about it being damaged though if it does trigger in error again
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)