Bad to Worse

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Having endured weeks of pathetic service from Marshall Volvo Leeds, including an earlier phone conversation with the General Manager this morning, I have subsequently received a phone call from him to say that having made further enquiries, Volvo have WITHDRAWN THE MODEL WE ORDERED.

We ordered the D3 R-Design AWD (manual transmission). Has anyone else been told this??

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

That's awful! I thought my dealer was incompetent, but yours is in a whole different league. So, are you expected to start the process from scratch again?
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Bertie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 am Having endured weeks of pathetic service from Marshall Volvo Leeds, including an earlier phone conversation with the General Manager this morning, I have subsequently received a phone call from him to say that having made further enquiries, Volvo have WITHDRAWN THE MODEL WE ORDERED.

We ordered the D3 R-Design AWD (manual transmission). Has anyone else been told this??

This VCUK letter to dealers from April 17th was posted by sc55 on May 4th.

XC40 D3.jpg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for the letter, which I have immediately sent to the dealership demanding answers.

My case feels like it would make a good story in the national press, so does anyone have contact details for any of the dailies please?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Bertie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 am Thanks for the letter, which I have immediately sent to the dealership demanding answers.

My case feels like it would make a good story in the national press, so does anyone have contact details for any of the dailies please?
Here is the full letter from sc55’s post. There is further reference to the D3 situation on page 1.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=147&start=380#p3491
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
NO_XC40_YET

Post by NO_XC40_YET »

I agree, should never have been offered for sale and deposits taken if it wasnt approved.

I having a nightmare with my order too - no build date still.

Daily mail, Watchdog etc etc - they deserve bad press.
deanio

Post by deanio »

Seems odd you can still order the D3 through the configuration page on Volvo UK.
White T4 R Design Pro ordered 17/04/18 and supposedly arriving 30/09/18. Picked up 2nd October. :D
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

deanio wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 am Seems odd you can still order the D3 through the configuration page on Volvo UK.
I think it’s just the AWD D3 manual that’s been taken off. My FWD D3 manual has a production slot.

Sorry to hear about the problems though. Really doesn’t seem that it should be difficult mating an engine and gearbox they’ve already got to a FWD system they’ve already got. Maybe there’s a problem with lack of torque from the D3 and lack of gears to provide sufficient or acceptable drive - the auto has more gears so maybe better able to manage this? Or maybe the manual gearbox arrangement needs the drive mechanism to be modified from the automatic configuration?

Unfortunately, things crop up in manufacture, as we’ve found in my company. Should have been better communicated though.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

hdasmith wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 am Really doesn’t seem that it should be difficult
The reason quoted is "a delay in emissions certification" for that particular powertrain combination. I imagine it will return, just not in MY19.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
cosmic_dave

Post by cosmic_dave »

I thought you could only order AWD in auto?