Opinions needed please guys - my apologies for lengthy post

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

I have had my FE T5 since the end of March, I have done just under 1k miles so far and on cleaning the car over the weekend, I noticed a small blemish under the paintwork on the roof, tiny really, about 4x5mm in size - doesn't show well on photos, sorry.

Now I know it's there, it's bugging me, especially as I paid top whack for the car, only got the pcp contribution/allowance, no other discount.

Don't get me wrong, beside a couple of niggles that I have sorted out myself with a bit of the trim and the backs of the driver/passenger seats, the car has been great.

So I thought I'd take it to the supplying dealer who confirm they can see the blemish and have said this is a manufacturing defect. They have advised that the car will need the entire roof replacing,................WTF!! Really?? I spoke to the service manager who advised that because it's a blemish/manufacturing defect, Volvo wouldn't authorise a re spray, they'd replace the entire roof.

Apparently the roof is plastic anyway according to these guys so they'd just order in a new roof and take the old one off and put the new one on.

According to them "it'll be as good as new sir, you won't notice it's been done"

I then went and showed the guy all the neat join lines of the roof to the rest of the body, spoke about the trim that would need to come off inside, how well that is currently fitted and then explained the bad experiences I've had in the past with body shops doing this sort of work and that in the end it never looks like new,.............. they still insisted it would.

Volvo are looking into this and will revert with options shortly.

I'm not sure I believe these guys and I'm tempted to get a second opinion, however would really welcome your thoughts;

Options could be;

Keep car as is, ask for some compensation as car won't be as good as it is now once body shop start ripping things apart?

Let them do the work and if not as good as new, reject car until it is in the condition it should be, like new?

Any further thoughts/suggestions on this?

Real world problems pale this in to insignificance, I'm just a tad gutted as to me it's an expensive car and I take care of my things so not keen it being ripped apart after just 2 months, especially noting how long it takes to get these cars in the first place!

Thank you in advance, appreciate your time and suggestions here.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D

abby606

Post by abby606 »

I'd let them do the work and get them to rectify any bit you're not happy with.

I'm not sure exactly what part you're talking about and the process involved but I've taken nearly every bit of trim off on one side of my car (V40) to install a dashcam cable and it's pretty easy, everything clips in. As long as you take your time you would be none the wiser. Though everything about the platform of the XC40 is new, Volvo and other manufacturers use pretty much the same methods for attaching bits and pieces, inside and out, so there isn't much to get wrong unless you rush.

Personally, I would rather a part replacement over a re-spray, seems a more logical thing to do if it's replaceable.

If you are concerned, get a feeler gauge or vernier caliper and measure the panel gaps and re-check when they are done.
User2506

Post by User2506 »

That is gutting as it's still very much a new car. In your shoes I would opt for a full roof replacement with a loan car until it's done, I'm sure Volvo will aim to get it right rather than you having to look at rejecting it.
FE D4 AWD Auto Crystal White. Interior Black Leather Buck Suede. Extras: Dog Guard, Boot Mat. Picked up 2nd June.
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Would you be able to take a photo or two of the affected area so we could see what we're talking about?

If you're considering having it replaced, I would ask what process is involved in achieving that; that would probably make the decision for me, if it were my car. For instance, a bonded panel I would argue is unlikely to be replaced to the same quality level, whereas if it requires just a few interior trim panels to be removed (again, which ones?) to expose interior fixings, then maybe it is.

However, if we're talking about the entire roof panel, then I'd be extremely reluctant, mainly because of the FE's sunroof - I've seen how these are installed at the factory, and I can't see that being replicated in your average workshop/bodyshop.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
apepat

Post by apepat »

I guess it depends how bad it is and if it is at risk of rusting... Unless it’s really a straight forward replacement, personally, I would rather leave it and push for a compensation.
Volvo XC40 D4 First Edition | Bursting Blue | 20" | No headlight washers | Polestar optimised ;)
MichelR

Post by MichelR »

The roof is NOT plastic but steel just like the whole car.
Very strange that want to replaced the roof?. This is not possible or you need to cut up the whole car.

Here article about painting the R_Design Roof.
https://globalstories.volvocars.com/a-s ... challenge/
Painting of the roof is a hand job also.

Also been to the factory myself and the roofs are definitively steel.

Guess you inform a other dealer how has more knowledge about the car.
Ordered a XC40 T4 R-Design in Bursting Blue.. Supposed to get he car in mid May but delayed. Will be build on 10th of September
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

MichelR wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:48 pm The roof is NOT plastic but steel just like the whole car.
Very strange that want to replaced the roof?. This is not possible or you need to cut up the whole car.

Here article about painting the R_Design Roof.
https://globalstories.volvocars.com/a-s ... challenge/
Painting of the roof is a hand job also.

Also been to the factory myself and the roofs are definitively steel.

Guess you inform a other dealer how has more knowledge about the car.
Agreed, roof is steel, however I think they mean the black piece is actually a plastic cover over there steel casing??

Will wait to see what Volvo say to do with regards fixing the issue as for me, I'm not happy it being pulled apart, surely just a respray of the effected area would suffice?
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

AlexK wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:54 pm Would you be able to take a photo or two of the affected area so we could see what we're talking about?

If you're considering having it replaced, I would ask what process is involved in achieving that; that would probably make the decision for me, if it were my car. For instance, a bonded panel I would argue is unlikely to be replaced to the same quality level, whereas if it requires just a few interior trim panels to be removed (again, which ones?) to expose interior fixings, then maybe it is.

However, if we're talking about the entire roof panel, then I'd be extremely reluctant, mainly because of the FE's sunroof - I've seen how these are installed at the factory, and I can't see that being replicated in your average workshop/bodyshop.
Tried to, however on back roof trying to catch the mark is hard in a photo, it's really not that big but is a blemish that they've said is a defect.

Might wait and see what Volvo HO say although like you, I'm reluctant to have the car pulled apart.
robbo

Post by robbo »

Hi Tel

Sorry to hear about your problem with a £40,000 grand car

They are trying to bluff you by changing the roof, hoping you say no don't touch it I will just live with same hear is £300 quid now
toddle off we are to busy for this kind of thing.

I think they are throwing these cars down the production as fast as they can (Make hay when the sun shines ect ect ) and stoking
up problems for the future for new owners.

My advise to you would be to reject the car as they have accepted a manufacturing fault, they should replace with brand new FE immediately
as they are in the wrong. If they don't get you a brand new car that week tell them you will go to the press and all the car mags.

Listen you and I know 99% of body shops are useless and if they did this work to your car you would be waiting for trim falling off or
noises galore it would be harder to reject. The people are right that have commented its all steel and to cut the roof off and weld a new one
on they must be joking, the factory welds will never be repeated the integrity of the shell will have been compromised as it will never be
the same. Its a no brainer hand the keys back tomorrow with your phone in your hand ready to inform a lawyer, the press, and the car
mags I would never except this car in a million years.

Don't let them cut and shut your car no matter what they say. I would say to them would you take a car with a new roof welded on and
I bet 100% would say no are you joking.

I wish you all the best with your new car they will give you this week.

Robbo
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Robbo as much as your solution would be a good fix to the problem, I think we all know everything is not that simple, if the car was rejected we can very safely assume it will not be replaced within the week. Then who's the real loser?

I would let them carry out the work, with a matching xc40 courtesy car or better, throughly inspect the car on completion and obtain some sort of written guarentee that if any problems arise as a result of the works i.e misaligned panels, creeks or rattles then they shall be rectified without question for atleast the length of your ownership.

Instant replacement in this case is a bit of a pipe dream.

Telboy I imagine this is very frustrating, but my thoughts are its worth letting them do what they need to do, I'm sure in the long run it will be worth it. Again anything but perfect is not a fix. Obviously compensation for the troubles aswell.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!