Diesel or Petrol?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
User2506

Post by User2506 »

That was my dilemma. I heard all the fuss about diesels and initially ordered a petrol T3 to go greener or so I thought. Then I checked out the economy and emission figures and found the new diesel emissions were lower than the petrol counterparts as well as better economy (though I appreciate Sulphur particulates may be more difficult to quantify) . I ended up changing the T3 for a D4 diesel as I plan this new car as more of a keeper. I think though had I wanted performance I would have gone for the T5 but I'm happy with just a bit of grunt when I need it. Anyone else had this dilemma?
FE D4 AWD Auto Crystal White. Interior Black Leather Buck Suede. Extras: Dog Guard, Boot Mat. Picked up 2nd June.

Chrismgreen

Post by Chrismgreen »

Went diesel... Live in the country south West. Mileage is a prime driver... Took a 3 year lease option so I can review fuel issue then.. At the least I might consider hybrid then. But until electricity options significantly improve... Such as many many more charge points. Plus max 10 min full recharge times and REAL mileage of 300+ per charge up.

The real decision is cost to me per mile. So only big big tax hikes on diesel and congestion charges in all provincial towns will sway me.

PS by then diesel will be so environment friendly the government will be persecuting some other honey pots!
XC40 FE | D4 | Crystal White | Black interior: delivery date? Got it end April..
Marketry

Post by Marketry »

I thought buying a diesel would be like buying a fur coat 20 years ago.

The truth about emissions and mpg is irrelevant, perception is reality and politicians react to the perceived reality with idiotic declarations. I live in Cambridge and I wouldn't be surprised if the council banned all diesels in some form within the next 3 years.

Also looney folk will see diesels as the enemy and attempt to damage it.

I don't agree with the anti diesel hysteria but sometimes it's easy to swim with the current.
T5 White - 19 inchers for sanity not vanity
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

At present I would only consider another diesel if I was getting it on some form of fixed term contract and wasn't too worried about resale value . As others have said already it is not clear how much the authorities will penalise diesel users in the future, but if they do secondhand values could fall off a cliff. Modern diesel emissions equipment has also developed a reputation for needing expensive maintenance after a few years. Diesel cars may cost less in fuel but allowing for these other factors total lifetime costs over say 8 years may not be all that different. Of course if one was very concerned about environmental impact then an XC40 or any other SUV probably isn't the right choice! I'll probably keep my T5 (if it ever arrives) until it really becomes socially unacceptable to drive around in a gas-guzzling SUV -if that happens too quickly then I might regret my choice!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
robbo

Post by robbo »

Hi

After the problems I had with a brand new Evoque I would never touch another diesel car it blocked up every 200-300 miles and was
fitted with a new DPF filter after 3,000 miles. If you do A-B driving and never get over 40mph forget these modern diesels they need
to be running hot and blown clean constantly, these Jag. Land Rover, and Volvo are choked and filled with gizmos to meet the emissions
laws and if you are not doing high mileages they are not worth it and all the DPF problems that goes with it.
Try googling modern DPF problems and that should guide on your next purchase.

That's on top of all the government demonization !

Robbo
Waggatron

Post by Waggatron »

I have done short commutes with my XC60 D4 for 4 years (5miles there and 7 back, as I take a different route). Very infrequent long journeys in between. Once Volvo had got on top of their DPF technology I’ve never had a problem.

I’ve plumped for a D4 in my new XC60 (apologies I know this is a 40 forum!) as my colleague has a T5 and the real world fuel economy is not something I would be happy with.

But I appreciate it’s a personal choice depending on individual circumstance.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Same here. 14mile round trip commute, couple of short runs at weekends, 1800 mile round trip to France once a year. one motorway trip of about 100 miles every few months.
Car is a Skoda Superb Mk3 2.0 Diesel, returns approx 46mpg commuting, 65mpg on French trip, mid to high 50s on motorway trips. Just over 2 years old, never had a problem with it.

Going for the XC40 T5 at sub 30mpg was out of the question for me...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Neil76

Post by Neil76 »

Similar experience for me too. My Audi A3 2.0 tdi is now 11 years old with 165000 miles on the clock. Touch wood I've never had any dpf issues and 90% of the mileage has been 12 mile round trip comute in London traffic.
FE D4 Crystal White 20" Alloys :D
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

I'd like to think most manufacturers (with the apparent exception of JLR) have their DPF issues well under control by now. Mine's been fine despite a very low mileage.

On the original question, I personally would prefer the diesel because I like torque. However, like Balmoral, I'd only buy one now on a lease for the protected future value. Thanks to the government's un-joined-up thinking I'm switching back to petrol, but for personal preference I wouldn't go back to normally aspirated.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o