Build quality issues

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
andygou

Post by andygou »

Hi all,

Anyone spotted any build quality issues on their XC40’s?

I certainly haven’t, indeed I was delighted to see that the chequered facia trim panel misalignment to the centre console trim which was seized on with glee by a certain website reviewer is now millimetre-perfect on our FE delivered last week (sans headlamp washers and 20” wheels, as expected).

Also the gaps around the fuel filler flap, which were noticeably uneven on all the launch and demonstrator cars I looked at are now perfectly even.

Hopefully, even though Volvo do seem to have made a bit of a mess of predicting the level of sales interest, they seem to be on the ball with fixing the little quality issues which can surface in early production.
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.

Deleted User 960

Post by Deleted User 960 »

Nothing yet, other than an annoying rattle from the rear quarter when going over bumps. I HATE rattles with a passion:), so will be asking the dealer to investigate and fix......

Really impressed with the overall build quality of Volvos anyway - my XC60 was spot on. I can't recommend them enough to family, friends, colleagues etc.
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

Amazingly not a single niggle, glitch or badly aligned panel on my car. I think it’s a first & and I have been lucky enough to own quite a few new cars over the years.

I hope it proves to be as well made in the coming months and years.
XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May
MikeChapman

Post by MikeChapman »

One and a half weeks in and I'm impressed by the build of my first ever Volvo. Not a single niggle or irritation. No doubt that's the cue for the steering wheel to fall off...
XC40 FE T5 Bursting Blue
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

No complaints so far on build quality from me.

Design/material wise couple of observations

- the plastic door panel/trim is slightly getting to me as being on the "cheap" side - but coming from a robust audi door (with leather in the important places).

- and when fitting the mud flaps I was quite surprised by how flimsy the wheel arch inside protector was. I am sure there is some hidden strength to it (fingers crossed) or it is design that way i.e with a bit of give.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
senwar

Post by senwar »

Boomer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 am - and when fitting the mud flaps I was quite surprised by how flimsy the wheel arch inside protector was. I am sure there is some hidden strength to it (fingers crossed) or it is design that way i.e with a bit of give.
That struck me also. Kept thinking I'd not tightened things up properly!
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

I have a very discreet rattle/vibration from the front interior light area, and also a bit of a creaky front arm rest, both too noticeable to dismiss, will give it a little while to see if any other niggles pop up before I visit dealer to rectify. Any interior rattles annoy that he'll out of me aha.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Further to my last post, was just checking something in my car and noticed the passenger little pocket thingy had come loose, turns out it's only held in place by some rather crude looking velcro type tape... A good firm push at it seems solidly attached again, not overly convinced with the quality in that though...

IMG_20180510_194231.jpg

IMG_20180510_194355.jpg

IMG_20180510_194533.jpg

XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Has anyone worked out the purpose of this pocket, or discovered a sensible use for it. I realise it probably should be drivers side, designed for LHD but still can’t come up with a reason.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Seen a comment somewhere else as being usable as a sunglasses holder
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.