Build quality issues

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

VeeTee55 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 am Has anyone noticed that the bonnet fit is a bit off? If I look at the line of the gap along each side of the bonnet, from the side, it looks fine. But the passenger side of the bonnet "overhangs" a bit at the front. It is really noticeable if the sun is overhead - there is a small shadow on the front of the fender cast by the bonnet overhang, but at the rear of the bonnet there is no side overhang, so no shadow. It's quite obvious if I run my finger along the gap. But the bonnet fit all along the driver's side is fine, so I can't see how adjusting the bonnet mounts will fix it. Are standards slipping as manufacture shifts to China?

To be fair though, I have no other complaints with the car (except for the lack of AM radio - mentioned elsewhere). It's a bit heavy on fuel, but I had read about this before I bought it so it's no surprise.

2021 Inscription AWD auto, white. Chinese build. Delivered early October 2020.
There are 2 rubber stop buttons on each side of the baulk head that the bonnet rests on. Make sure they are screwed in as far as possible.

VeeTee55

Post by VeeTee55 »

Thanks ACertainAge. I checked the bump stops as you suggested and they were both within a half turn from fully in. But I don't think that any up/down adjustment there would help, as the bonnet is actually protruding sideways a tad too much, overhanging the left side fender slightly at the front. I'll mention it at the next service but I'm not hopeful anything can be done. It is really only noticeable when the sun is overhead, but I didn't expect to see such a flaw in a Volvo.