Volvos Diabolical handling of the XC40 fiasco

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can't be bothered to get over excited about the delays. Yes, I'm disappointed that it may be September (or later) before I get my FE, but I'm more disappointed that it may be described on the V5 as an R-Design instead of an FE.
There again, I'm not having to give a car up by a particular date so I can see how it could be more annoying for those in that situation.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Bob wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:10 pm I can't be bothered to get over excited about the delays. Yes, I'm disappointed that it may be September (or later) before I get my FE, but I'm more disappointed that it may be described on the V5 as an R-Design instead of an FE.
There again, I'm not having to give a car up by a particular date so I can see how it could be more annoying for those in that situation.

Bob
Sorry to bother you but why so much disappointment about what wording appears on the V5?

I believe that the FE doesn't carry any badging to identify it as a "First Edition", it's all "R-Design" badging isn't it?
After all it's just an R-Design Pro with a bag full of options as standard. Don't see why it should affect the resale value too much if at all.

Are you expecting "First Editions" to be collector's items or something?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Rifleman wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:29 pm Sorry to bother you but why so much disappointment about what wording appears on the V5?
I think if it's described as an R-Design then it's second hand value may be much less than that of an FE, since the value will be based on the original, basic value of a new car, with very little consideration being given to the cost of extras. For example, the current new price of the basic R-Design T5 is £35,420, whereas the FE T5 was £40,055, therefore it is possible the second hand values of the two cars to have a similar percentage price difference.

It is almost certain that the FE will listed separately in Glasses Guide, the trade will know what was fitted to the car as standard. If the V5 shows the car listed as an R-Design, then it is likely that that is what traders will base the price of the car on.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hi Bob.
I see your point. It's not a factor for me as I don't intend keeping the car beyond the PCP duration, if trade-in value is not looking good I'll just hand it back and look elsewhere...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Bob you are spot on with your evaluation concerning First Edition models being re named R-Design.
Presently my First Edition Factory Order paperwork states R-Design, which I am not happy with if it progresses through to Vehicle Documentation.

First Edition, D4, AWD, Crystal White, Charcoal, 20'' Wheels, Delivery October.
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Marketry wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:56 pm I'm cancelling next week if I don't get a firm delivery date.

Spoke to the dealer today and was advised they were expecting a communication from Volvo on Tuesday. If no communication arrives or it's of no value I'm going to get an alternative vehicle. Current contenders are BMW X2, Audi Q2 or Mini Countryman hybrid.
I test drove the Audi and Mini Countryman... The Volvo is in another league completely. If you want to cancel then that's down to you obviously but I know I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot and then regret not waiting every time I get into a Mini and drive past a Volvo.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
Marketry

Post by Marketry »

q3billy wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 pm I test drove the Audi and Mini Countryman... The Volvo is in another league completely. If you want to cancel then that's down to you obviously but I know I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot and then regret not waiting every time I get into a Mini and drive past a Volvo.
I'm with you now. Test drove the mini hybrid and really liked it but don't want to spend £30k when the battery will likely be obsolete in 6 months. Tested a 1.5 Cooper Countryman and hated it.

Tested a Q2 and was a bit shocked at how low rent it felt inside.

Viewed the BMW X2 and it's ok but a bit too dull to motivate me for a test drive.

Returned to a Volvo dealer and sat in the xc40 and reaffirmed it's the cabin I want to be sitting in.

I need to manage my itch to want a new car within a week!
T5 White - 19 inchers for sanity not vanity
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Good news Marketry. There really is no competition. Shame about the wait but will be worth it I am sure.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I went through exactly the same process over the last couple of weeks, Marketry. Originally was going to go for Q2 back in March, tried the XC40 and and my mind was immediately made up - felt immediately confident in ordering my XC40. With all the delays (still no date for my T5 FE, hopefully some news this week), I was looking back at Q2. Having gone back and sat it it, I thought it was probably just as good and was on the very edge of cancelling the XC40 order and getting a car that I know I'd get within a few months. But the sensible side of me made me just go back to the local Volvo dealer and sit in the XC40 and as soon as I did that I had the same feeling as first time round, just as you did!

So, all thoughts of shifting to a different car have been banished, and I'm just going to have to sit out the wait, presumably until Autumn at least. Having gone through the process, at least I've settled in my mind that I'm doing the right thing. I wonder how many delayed XC40 owners are out there going through the same process and potentially losing Volvo sales to other manufacturers? I suppose if they do it'll give our orders a chance of coming forward!
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

morrishey wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:17 pm I went through exactly the same process over the last couple of weeks, Marketry. Originally was going to go for Q2 back in March, tried the XC40 and and my mind was immediately made up - felt immediately confident in ordering my XC40. With all the delays (still no date for my T5 FE, hopefully some news this week), I was looking back at Q2. Having gone back and sat it it, I thought it was probably just as good and was on the very edge of cancelling the XC40 order and getting a car that I know I'd get within a few months. But the sensible side of me made me just go back to the local Volvo dealer and sit in the XC40 and as soon as I did that I had the same feeling as first time round, just as you did!

So, all thoughts of shifting to a different car have been banished, and I'm just going to have to sit out the wait, presumably until Autumn at least. Having gone through the process, at least I've settled in my mind that I'm doing the right thing. I wonder how many delayed XC40 owners are out there going through the same process and potentially losing Volvo sales to other manufacturers? I suppose if they do it'll give our orders a chance of coming forward!
I've done the same thing. I took a Mini out for an extended test drive and while I had it I went to Volvo, getting out of the Mini and straight into the XC40 and then back again the difference in quality is just amazing considering the Mini actually works out as more expensive!

I'm also secretly hoping that other people do decide to go for other manufacturers and cancel their orders so I get mine sooner, possibly a little selfishly :lol:
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red