Xc40 broken into without key

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Came back from holiday and found car had been broken into. Car was still locked and no damage to it but glovebox and arm rest open and items missing. Key was in Faraday pouch behind a door under the stairs and car is on drive on opposite side where stairs is. Security footage shows thief arrive at back of car and taillights flash and tailgate opens. He then opens front drivers door. Mirrors and other lights did not open / flash as they do when using key. Only other nothing was ski hatch left open. Concerned my car is not secure any more👀

Alexandrovich

Post by Alexandrovich »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. What model/year are we talking about here, please ?
Volvo XC40 T4 MY20 FWD Inscription Pro, Onyx Black, Blond interior, Winter Pack, Tempra Spare, Privacy Glass, Mudflaps, Dashcam and Reversing Camera. AutoGlym LifeShine.
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Xc40 B4 Ultimate 03/23 delivery
AldridgeAndy

Post by AldridgeAndy »

Sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident.

Would be great if you could upload the video so we can see what was going on and so we can plan preventative measures. Doesn’t sound like they wanted to take the car from your post.
2024 MY - Volvo XC40 B3 Plus Dark
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I believe the Volvo keys, like Fords, deactivate after 15 seconds when no movement is detected. So Faraday pouch wouldn't have made any difference.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The thing is, the Volvo keys 'go to sleep' i.e. Stop transmitting when they're left alone and not moving. So it's more a question of where the key was cloned? And why not just take the car? Seems bizarre to do all that, and just pinch stuff out of it rather than take the car.

I'd be talking with Volvo about whether the codes can be changed to new keys.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Thanks for the replies. Tried to load the video but it’s only showing photos in my album. Have edited it to shortest duration.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Without a key the car can be unlocked using Volvo Cars app. First the tailgate is unlocked with no lights flashing and only after the tailgate opening switch is pushed manually will the driver’s door unlock. At request Volvo should be able to pull the logs both from the car and its app servers to figure out what happened.

Make sure to use a unique and hard to guess password for Volvo ID because login security is weak, there’s no two factor authentication (2FA) and no notifications for new logins. Someone with access to Volvo ID user name and password can log into Volvo Cars App on any new device, find the car’s position on the map, unlock it and start the engine. Fortunately, the car can’t be moved without the key.
Last edited by eugen61 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

I was going to contact my local dealer and ask them how it could happen and his to prevent it in the future. I must admit I thought it was professional thieves stealing high end cars who had the technology. This was a kid on a bike who only stole 2 pairs of glasses, they were my wife’s but he left my 2 pairs🤔 would have been much worse if car was damaged or we had left something high value or sentimental.
Bob

Post by Bob »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:58 pm I believe the Volvo keys, like Fords, deactivate after 15 seconds when no movement is detected. So Faraday pouch wouldn't have made any difference.
This is the case with the more recent models but the early XC40 key fobs do not have this feature. Not sure which year it was introduced.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)