Xc40 broken into without key

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Ok, checked previous night time footage and you can see alarm light flashing so you are correct that the alarm does not seem to be set during the incident. You mention the tailgate possibly being open so I opened the tailgate fully with the car locked and the alarm light stopped flashing. Great, I must have left the tailgate open. But, 2 things. With the tailgate open and the car locked you still can’t open the door, it’s locked. Also like most users I always press the button on the tailgate to electrically open / close the tailgate so that should lock it securely. There was no way the tailgate was fully open when I left for holiday but I can’t rule out it was partially latched.

Moss

Post by Moss »

m@rk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:55 am So if the boot wasn't properly closed, then whilst you would have heard the central locking try to lock and the mirrors fold in, the alarm would not have been set

The car is now sat there, open and with the boot not closed properly and the alarm isn't set. Thus no red flashing light

So that kid is passing by and notices the boot is not closed properly. He tries to open the boot and sure enough, it opens and the alarm doesn't go off. No lights would flash as the car was never alarmed to start with. Knowing the car is now open, he can open the drivers door, help himself and ride off.

My suspicion is that for whatever reason, the boot had not properly closed, he spotted this and took the opportunity. Nothing more sinister than that
I would agree with m@rk. If something in the boot made it impossible to fully close electrically, there was only the assumption that the car (boot and doors) was locked, but actually it wasn’t : the boot and doors were open, the alarm wasn’t set, and the mirrors weren’t folded. I’m not 100 % sure, but if so, I think the interior light of the car stayed on as well, which could have caught the attention of the bicycle kid who took the opportunity.
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Left the tailgate open and the car unlocked. The car did not lock itself after 5 minutes. I then closed the tailgate and the car still did not lock itself after 5 minutes. Conclusion if you forget to lock the car it will do so after a couple of minutes IF the tailgate (and maybe side doors) is fully closed. Therefore I can only conclude we did not lock the car and the tailgate was not fully latched. From now I will check if the alarm light is working after I lock the car.
riskymoth

Post by riskymoth »

This is where working unlock notifications through the app would be very useful!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I now get Unlocked Notifications again after 5 mins of car being unlocked and not moved
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

OxfordT, your car will only self lock after a few minutes IF you didn't open any doors after opening. So, if you get out the car and not lock it after a drive it remains Open
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
riskymoth

Post by riskymoth »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:04 pm I now get Unlocked Notifications again after 5 mins of car being unlocked and not moved
Thanks - just checked, and it now works!
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

JFDIT, thanks for the replies, I’m sure I lock the car most of the time and lessons learnt I will always look for the flashing alarm light as a double check, particularly before any holiday!
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

OxfordT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:47 pm JFDIT, thanks for the replies, I’m sure I lock the car most of the time and lessons learnt I will always look for the flashing alarm light as a double check, particularly before any holiday!
The simple tell is when you press lock on the key fob, if the lights don't flash, they the car has a problem locking (door not shut properly etc)

If the incidators flash then it is telling you it is locked and alarms properly. You can test this by leaving a door not fully shut then trying to lock the car

BTW

If you press the lock button on the key fob twice, it will lock the car but NOT set the interior alarm (for example if you leave a dog in the car or on a boat). Normally you wouldn't want to do this but a lot of people press the lock button on the key fob for extra "lockyness" to help their OCD not realising it is having the opposite effect :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Felindre wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:32 pm The thing is, the Volvo keys 'go to sleep' i.e. Stop transmitting when they're left alone and not moving. So it's more a question of where the key was cloned? And why not just take the car? Seems bizarre to do all that, and just pinch stuff out of it rather than take the car.

I'd be talking with Volvo about whether the codes can be changed to new keys.
Interesting topic! Just being curious: how does the key know that it is not moving? I guess there is no GPS unit or motion detector in the key, so what makes it decide that it should go to sleep and stop transmitting? Are you sure this information is correct? I wish you are right because it makes the volvo more secure against theft, only the explanation is missing for me...