XC40 Owned Less than 7 days - Entertainment Failed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
XC40Bruno

Post by XC40Bruno »

Just picked up my new XC40 last Saturday (I live in USA). First time Volvo buyer so I was very unhappy when the error display came on and the car wanted me to take it in for service. The entertainment system had an error and the dashboard display between the speedometer and Tachometer was not working. The buttons on the right side of the steering wheel were not responding with Audio, Call or Navigation related menu items after pressing the right arrow.

Called sales person, talked to service at the dealership. Took it into different dealership and they are going to take a look.

Is this normal Volvo quality?

Has anyone else seen this type of problem? :x

XC40Bruno
XC40 R-Design T5 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue. On the road in USA since April 21 2018.:)

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Which model do you have Bruno?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
XC40Bruno

Post by XC40Bruno »

R-Design in Blue
XC40 R-Design T5 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue. On the road in USA since April 21 2018.:)
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Same as my FE. Sounds like you have just been unlucky. Do you know if yours was built in Ghent, Belgium or in a USA plant? Someone else did report a problem with the driver display, but otherwise we have seen no other reports of your type of problems on here from European builds to date.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

XC40Bruno

Post by XC40Bruno »

Hi,

Took about a week but I just got my XC40 back. I've not been able to reproduce the issue. They did not take the dashboard apart or make any physical changes to investigate the root cause or resolve the issue. A new software release came out while the car was in for investigation of issue so they updated the software ( I believe in multiple on-board computers in the XC40) and gave it back to me.

I did notice that the Yelp app would now load properly so there are probably some other fixes in the new software not related to just the potential fix of my problem. Is there a chance that they de-featured the dashboard to work around issues with communications between the dashboard and entertainment? I swear I used to be able to select different SiriusXM Radio stations just by using the buttons on the steering wheel. I don't know I only originally had the car for a few days before it threw an error and service instructed me to take the car to my nearest Volvo dealer.

I'll post again perhaps with photos of the problem if I can get it to happen again.

I was eventually provided an XC60 loaner but still frustrated by the initial quality of the Volvo XC40...
Dingledog

Post by Dingledog »

My XC40, new 27/9/18 has been almost permanently in the Volvo dealers with issues relating to failures of sat Nav, entertainment unit, and full central console. Lights working and not working. Today its had a complete new IHU fitted, flown in from Sweden. Hopefully this has finally rectified the problems of this vehicle. In the meantime Volvo have agreed to replace the vehicle with a brand new one.

Ive got nothing but praise for the dealership, they have been as frustrated as we have with this 'rogue' vehicle. Fingers crossed.
Dingledog

Post by Dingledog »

Well that went well, the new IHU unit lasted 4 days before failing!!! Now having another one installed and new screen. This car is a nightmare. Now got a Mercedes provided by Volvo, its is excellent.
simmo

Post by simmo »

Dingledog wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 pm Well that went well, the new IHU unit lasted 4 days before failing!!! Now having another one installed and new screen. This car is a nightmare. Now got a Mercedes provided by Volvo, its is excellent.
Hi did they fix you car in the end just orders XC40 I suppose you can always get a rouge ! was it a Europe Build, not that that should make any difference.
Gherd

Post by Gherd »

Please note that the current Sensus system is windows based and has serious problems.

In the US these Sensus problems have brought Volvo as least dependable brand in the list by Consumer Reports.

On feb the 27th Volvo will introduce the new Sensus based on Android.