XC40 Owned Less than 7 days - Entertainment Failed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

There, are you sure it’s windows based?! Everything I’ve read suggests it’s Blackberry’s QNX. Android would mean I wouldn’t buy one of these cars, as I’ve said before.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

johnd

Post by johnd »

hdasmith wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 am Android would mean I wouldn’t buy one of these cars, as I’ve said before.
It's interesting.... availability of Android Sensus is one of the things that would encourage me to confirm an XC40 order because it would give me Google maps, which I've got very used to having.

In one sense I'd don't really care at all which OS the system is running behind the scenes provided it's safe and reliable. Given Volvo's need to retain their safety credentials I doubt that they would release a new Sensus that hasn't been very thoroughly tested and bugfixed. I'm sure that like any other computer system there will be the very occasional glitch but as long as it's simply irritating (rather than outright unsafe) and easily cleared then I accept that as par for the course.

It's a bit OT for this thread I'm afraid, but why do you dislike Android so much?
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Don’t trust Google. Their whole business model is collect info on you, and sell it to people to make money out of you. In the US, they can even tell if you’ve been searching for something online, and then go to a real store and buy it with a MasterCard. I think we’re incredibly naive about the amount of information we’re giving away without thinking.

I don’t use Google for anything. Now you’ve got cars tracking where you go, what time you’re out, how long you’re out for, linked with credit cards telling them which shops I go into and buy from, and how likely you are to get something to eat, and where, and what kind of food I’m most likely to go for.

Right now, Tesco knows what I’m likely to buy in their shop, visa knows which shops I go to, and how much I spend where, but I can keep these thing separate.

Call me paranoid, that’s fine, but once it’s out, you’re not getting that private history back.

Also remember, it was a Google exec, Andy Ruebenstein(sp?) I think that said everyone will need to be allowed to change their identity when they’re 18 so businesses don’t track what they did as kids, or what their parents recorded about them.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Dingledog

Post by Dingledog »

Hi Simmo, just catching up here. The car was never really fixed so in the end Volvo replaced it with a new XC40, which I got in July, everything works exactly as it should and I love it. Paid for upgraded 360 degree camera, which is brilliant and the blind spot mirrors. My Volvo dealer was exceptional throughout this episode.