Tailgate struts for xc40 2019

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mortalgodz

Post by Mortalgodz »

Hey Guys,
Ive had a recent quote from volvo for replacing the tail gate lifting units (electronics) at a very hefty price. Just wondering is there any better way to secure those genuine parts and then I can get it installed at if a software patch is needed , im sure i wont be denied to go have tht done later through the dealership. Thoughts and if any references where i could get those , cant seem to find any at the moment

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You should be aware when buying the parts outside Volvo dealerships that original tailgate struts are defective and were redesigned sometime in 2022. There are more threads on the forum for this topic: viewtopic.php?t=3207
bravem01

Post by bravem01 »

Mine have just got very noisy and need replacing. It is a 2020 model 6 months out of
warranty. Not very pleased! If they are part of a faulty batch is there any likelihood of volvo contributing?
2020 XC40 R-design, T4
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

This fault did not qualify for a recall, so those outside warranty will have to cover the replacement cost.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Thinking it was earlier than 2022 or there have been two changes since launch - Driving a 2020 B4, the tailgate struts are different and positioned upside down in comparison to 2018 XC40's - apparently the originals let water in and corroded the internals? As regards to the post, Volvo may have you over a barrel on this one, maybe you could negotiate a goodwill discount if yours are deemed to be one of the earlier faulty ones. Also the electronic boot latch can fail too!!
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Sounds like the 2020 ones aren't much better!!!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Doesn't hurt to ask for a goodwill gesture, particularly as the original design has been found to be defective and many have had to be replaced. There doesn't need to be a recall.

I have had goodwill gestures from other manufacturers in the past no problem. My view is that all they are doing is giving you trade discount off the parts, it's not actually costing them anything. The parts are way overpriced.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Stuber

Post by Stuber »

My struts have been making a grinding noise but over the last few months I've dripped some oil in, on about six occasions. I'm happy to report that the noise has now gone. I've upgraded the seal at the top which is detailed elsewhere on this forum. The mechanics of the strut are two springs that rotate within each other to shorten/lengthen. So there is metal to metal contact and a bit of lubrication solves a lot of problems in many facets of life.
DJB14

Post by DJB14 »

Mine (2020 B4) were replaced at a cost of £849. Thankfully this was under extended warranty. Extortionate!
bravem01

Post by bravem01 »

My noisy 2020 t4 struts were replaced last month and I got a 70% contribution from volvo!
2020 XC40 R-design, T4