Harman Kardon stereo?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

I’ve had my R Design with HK for a week now. After having read this thread over the last few months I was beginning to dread what I was going to think of it when the car finally arrived. I’ve just moved from a TT with a B&O System, and have to say.......it’s different. I’m not saying it’s worse, but the way in which it delivers the sound is very forward focussed rather than the immmersive sound you got from the Audi setup. Feels like there is plenty of bass if you like it cranked up. Some have mentioned tinkering with surround sound to help balance it out, however I found it had too much echo. I’m getting used to it, however I think it’s just a case of getting used to the different sound stage. That said, the HK setup was not as expensive as the B&O, so perhaps unfair to compare them. When all’s said, im still glad I upgraded the stereo! 😋👌

Scottblackman

Post by Scottblackman »

Got my Fusion Red T5 R on 12/6. I too was disappointed at the lack of volume in the HK system.

For those of you using CarPlay and think the volume doesn’t go loud enough check Sound Check on your iPhone. Settings > General > Music and scroll down and be sure sound check isn’t on. I turned it off and got significantly more volume.
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

I've been having a lot of issues with my HK system.

Faulty air-woofer from the factory so that was replaced, then after that I have a lot of rattling from the glovebox and centre dash area, also loud tinny metallic vibrations from the front door speakers.
Took it in again, the passenger door now seems ok but the drivers door is much worse, the rattling from the glovebox is still there and as is the centre dash vibrations.

The service guy said of course it's going to rattle if you have it loud which I'm having none of, not only that but it starts rattling at less than half volume, above half and the door speakers play up. For a nearly £40k car it's a joke.
My last car, a 10 year old Focus convertible, had a fantastic sound system with loads of bass and zero rattles.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
Christoph99

Post by Christoph99 »

I find the sound from the sat nav really tinny and cheap and the other system sounds (eg phone ringtones) really disappointing. Also phone volume on hands free too quiet. Any suggestions anyone please? Thanks
mss911

Post by mss911 »

Christoph99 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm I find the sound from the sat nav really tinny and cheap and the other system sounds (eg phone ringtones) really disappointing. Also phone volume on hands free too quiet. Any suggestions anyone please? Thanks
With my iPhone & connected via Bluetooth I can also adjust the volume using the phone volume keys independently from the cars volume control - switching that up to max helps. The implementation is still poor -e.g. first car I've had that doesn't have a way to adjust the volume levels for a BT device independent of the master volume.

Slightly OT - I feel much of the "Sensus" software settings are poorly implemented or just missing. First Volvo for me so not sure how this compares to other models but this feels like a rev 1 & rushed out.
Mpkid123

Post by Mpkid123 »

I really love the Harman Kardon system. I am iinto getting the best sound possible and have no regrets in getting the upgrade. The sub woofer really rocks the car. I definitely recommend this upgrade.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Yet another Harman Kardon disappointment, although I have only had the car for three day's now, the sound system is not a patch on my previous two cars which had Mark Levinson systems and I definitely don't like the dash mounted woofer at all, it makes it very front heavy and you only get surround sound in your dreams, it feels very much like an entry level system.
I have played with all the settings and have the best sound available from it but is very much lacking, I would have been happy to pay the extra to what other manufactures charge for a quality system, but you get what you pay for I guess.
XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription Pro AWD, Crystal White with Oxide Red Leather, Heated S/W, Intellisafe Pro, H K sound, Tempa Spare Wheel, Xenium Pack, Dark Windows,.

Part Exchange - Lexus RC300h F Sport, Sonic Red, 2017.
Hes

Post by Hes »

Does anyone notice that the sound really dips when the engine cuts out with the stop/start? It’s like the battery can’t power the woofer without the engine on.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Hes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:37 am Does anyone notice that the sound really dips when the engine cuts out with the stop/start? It’s like the battery can’t power the woofer without the engine on.
Yes I noticed that and presumably because the woofer requires so much power as you say.

It has become somewhat less noticeable since the Sensus software was 'upgraded' due to another issue and in fact I find the system very much wanting now compared to before. Maximum volume is still nowhere near what it should be, however, this isn't a new issue.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

hmm ok glad I have found this..
So I think the spacial audio is quite good left and right but it's VERY front heavy. The volume in general on my HK stereo is not great and during a call via Car Play at least, I can barely hear what is going on. Music wise it can go fairly loud but it isn't ear exploding in anyway.. I am wondering if I have a problem with it. Might go to a dealer and see if I can do a compare with one without the HK or even with..
I haven't noticed the volume dipping with the start stop.. I wonder if that was the issue and the fix was to inhibit the levels? Picked mine up in March.
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD