Harman Kardon stereo?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

senwar wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:43 am
I presume the two mesh speaker types in the headlining are phone mic not speakers?

Yes I think so. Dealer should be able to check all 13 speakers & subwoofer are there and connected I guess.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Morten

Post by Morten »

Hi Senwar,

How long have you had the car, as I wrote earlier was the sound in the start not to good, I am tree weeks in now and like it a lot.

I have also disable the surround, I think it sounds to artificial, but I have adjusted the other audio settings.

Kind regards Morten
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

I'm a little worried that it won't be good enough..

I'm driving an X1 at the moment with Harman/Kardon and the bass is excellent I'm just hoping that the XC40 will be good as or even better considering the BMW has 2 speakers less.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

It feels like a real step up from my 2 year old XC60 with the Harmon Kardon sound system - I've definitely been impressed, and that was with a USB hard drive in the XC60 and a bluetooth Samsung S7 on the XC40. I've got a lot more control here than I ever did, and the bass definitely feels more meaningful.

If USB is going to make a massive difference, then I Just wish there was somewhere to store the hard drive on the XC40 - in the XC60 the USB connection was in the armrest storage box, so not in the way. Don't really want to put a hard drive on the induction charging pad.
Morten

Post by Morten »

I think i wll get a 256gb usb drive, you can get some that are realy small

I have triede flac files and it works, on the files i copieded there was some high res, they also played.. cool.

Kind regards Morten
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Morten wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 pm I think i wll get a 256gb usb drive, you can get some that are realy small

I have triede flac files and it works, on the files i copieded there was some high res, they also played.. cool.

Kind regards Morten
Don't forget that you'll probably limited to 15000 files/1000 folders per the spec's. It's on the project list for me to resolve when I've got the appetite but I did an initial dump of over 21K mp3 files (in >1500 subfolders) onto a 128GB thumbnail. Sensus doesn't pick up all the files, and so suspect that it reads the first 15000 files/1000 folders and then ignores rest. Options to test - 1. reduce folder numbers first, and then 2. no of files to test the limits.

But at the moment I can't be a***d to do it as the ipod works way better and seems to give me all the files on that (way way above the 15000 files limit) so I suspect Sensus relies on the ipods own indexing?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
dsun18

Post by dsun18 »

I have to say the Harman/Kardon system has been my only disappointment in my FE XC40. I've played around with various settings, but nothing feels quite right. It'shard to put my finger on exactly what it is, but I think it's about separation either way, it's unsatisfying. It's interesting to read about different connection methods, so far I've only streamed via Bluetooth, i'll test USB tonight. Though having said that, I previously owned a 2016 BMW 5 Series with standard stereo, and sound quality was far better (and always streaming over bluetooth). If anyone has any detailed settings from the equalizer they'd suggest, i'd be very interested to hear.
Volvo XC40 First Edition T5, Grey Osmium, 20" wheels
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

dsun18 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm I have to say the Harman/Kardon system has been my only disappointment in my FE XC40. I've played around with various settings, but nothing feels quite right. It'shard to put my finger on exactly what it is, but I think it's about separation either way, it's unsatisfying. It's interesting to read about different connection methods, so far I've only streamed via Bluetooth, i'll test USB tonight. Though having said that, I previously owned a 2016 BMW 5 Series with standard stereo, and sound quality was far better (and always streaming over bluetooth). If anyone has any detailed settings from the equalizer they'd suggest, i'd be very interested to hear.
Have you tried altering the settings in the Sound Experience App? I didn't find this at first but I found that playing about with the "surround sound " setting in there improves the sound immeasurably. Have to say after initial disappointment, I'm really impressed with it now.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
mistercesq

Post by mistercesq »

Sadly I don't find it a touch on the B&O system in my Audi. HK lacks clarity and doesn't have the same warmth to the bass.
allroad

Post by allroad »

Im a fulltime radio presenter and would like to think I know my music and sound...must say very pleased with it... its no bang and olufsen but certainly suits the car
XC 40 FE FUSION RED D4 19" HL WASHERS TOW BAR LISBURN N.IRELAND...Now Polestarred !