"New software updates available"

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm I think all the maps are installed by default. Version 1203 for all of them in my case. I have updated NW Europe and France to 1216 via a USB update downloaded from the Volvo Support website.

I agree the messages aren’t helpful when it’s a map update not a system or app update and it’s a map you don’t have set as active for your “home region”. Future improvements should differentiate between the three types of possible updates I would hope.
Replying to myself now I know jagstyles that you are based in Canada, I don’t know which other maps you might have available to you in addition to your Eastern Canada. Perhaps all of North America in regional bite size chunks? In Europe we have (well I have) 16 country/region maps installed, with NW Europe being the default here as that includes UK.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

jagstyles wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:53 pm I get the same issue almost on a weekly basis. Screen says there are new system updates but there are no updates for the maps or any of my installed apps. In fact, when I get the notification at the top of the LCD screen that a new system update is available, I press on it and it just defaults back to the home screen.

So not sure why it's saying there are new updates when there aren't any???

Just checked the Volvo Supoort website. For North America there are 21 regional maps as well as one for the whole region. The 21 include Central America and Mexico (haven’t checked to see how they represent part built border walls yet). They all seem to be available now at version 1220 dated 5/25. If your setup is like ours, you may have all the maps installed at a prior version level and that may be why you are getting the spurious software update messages (?). I think I get my messages because almost all of my maps are the older versions 1203 and not 1216, the latest for Europe. Hope this helps.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

pjm007 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pmJust checked the Volvo Supoort website. For North America there are 21 regional maps as well as one for the whole region. The 21 include Central America and Mexico (haven’t checked to see how they represent part built border walls yet). They all seem to be available now at version 1220 dated 5/25. If your setup is like ours, you may have all the maps installed at a prior version level and that may be why you are getting the spurious software update messages (?). I think I get my messages because almost all of my maps are the older versions 1203 and not 1216, the latest for Europe. Hope this helps.
I don't think all those regional maps are installed on my car by default because although they are listed in the MAPS section of the download center, the all have "Install" as an option whereas the map I already have installed has the word "Install" greyed out indicating it's already installed. So now the question becomes do they still give us update notices for maps we don't even have installed? Also, whenever an update is available for my installed map, the update notification has a blue icon. This is not what I typically see when the message "New System Updates available" message comes up. Often times i get that notification with no map updates available etc, just blank.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

jagstyles wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm
pjm007 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pmJust checked the Volvo Supoort website. For North America there are 21 regional maps as well as one for the whole region. The 21 include Central America and Mexico (haven’t checked to see how they represent part built border walls yet). They all seem to be available now at version 1220 dated 5/25. If your setup is like ours, you may have all the maps installed at a prior version level and that may be why you are getting the spurious software update messages (?). I think I get my messages because almost all of my maps are the older versions 1203 and not 1216, the latest for Europe. Hope this helps.
I don't think all those regional maps are installed on my car by default because although they are listed in the MAPS section of the download center, the all have "Install" as an option whereas the map I already have installed has the word "Install" greyed out indicating it's already installed. So now the question becomes do they still give us update notices for maps we don't even have installed? Also, whenever an update is available for my installed map, the update notification has a blue icon. This is not what I typically see when the message "New System Updates available" message comes up. Often times i get that notification with no map updates available etc, just blank.

Try clicking on a map description which has "Install" as an option. I think it might show you the current (i.e. older) version number installed e.g. 1203. "Install" there means you can install a more up to date edition. When "Install" is greyed out it means you have the latest version - looks like 1220 for North America.

Another check would be whether you can select any other map to make it your home region.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Got the usual new software update message again today but this time it wasn't about map updates. Two App updates were shown - Spotify and Yelp. Both installed very quickly.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Not sure if anyone else already knew this but I have just sussed out why I continue to get these "new software update available" messages, whenever anything such as just one map update may be the trigger. In theory, there is an option to stop this automatic background search for updates. It's meant to be in Settings - System - Download Centre. See the attached manual page for "Deselect Auto Software Update". The problem is there is no Download Centre option under System, so you can't turn it off!

Auto SW update.jpg