"New software updates available"

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I recall a post or two some time ago on this subject but can't find where it was now. So a new thread.

I have had this message a few times, as others have, and when you go to look on the central console there are no Systems Updates available and no Application Updates available. Very puzzling. All the installed apps are listed, but there is no version number or release details . Very unhelpful.

A separate tab lists "New Apps", and while they are not totally new (i.e. additional) apps, I wondered if they were in fact new releases or updates. So I installed each one today, using my house WiFi on my drive, and all installed successfully. Again, we aren't told if they have a new version number etc.. Photo attached showing app install messages.

Maps are also sitting there under another tab, and you can choose to install all of those if you wish. I have only updated the NW Europe region map via USB to date.

So, I wonder if the "new software update available" message can just refer to app updates which are listed as "new", and maybe map updates? Real system software updates may not have been available yet.

Interesting to know what others may have seen and tried.

Car test 270418.jpg

Last edited by pjm007 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm, not sure. What I am seeing is new updates being available, but then I haven't updated the maps - and can see a little blue (1) [from memory] against the maps area. I just thought it was flagging that one - and so ignored it.

It would be nice to one central place with a list of software and version numbers so at least one had some hope of checking what was up to date or not.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I have never seen any little blue 1s, or 2s, or .....
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 pm I have never seen any little blue 1s, or 2s, or .....
Might just be a blue circle (I'll see if it is still there and put up a piccy)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

See compass bottom left

C3291393-3DDC-4F34-A22F-20051E5E5A12.jpeg

Last edited by Boomer on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Yes see it. Never seen that on mine!
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

I get the same issue almost on a weekly basis. Screen says there are new system updates but there are no updates for the maps or any of my installed apps. In fact, when I get the notification at the top of the LCD screen that a new system update is available, I press on it and it just defaults back to the home screen.

So not sure why it's saying there are new updates when there aren't any???
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

jagstyles wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:53 pm I get the same issue almost on a weekly basis. Screen says there are new system updates but there are no updates for the maps or any of my installed apps. In fact, when I get the notification at the top of the LCD screen that a new system update is available, I press on it and it just defaults back to the home screen.

So not sure why it's saying there are new updates when there aren't any???

They seem to be map updates - could be any one of the countries not necessarily NW Europe. The messages are misleading and hopefully will be cleaned up on a later system update.
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

pjm007 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 pmThey seem to be map updates - could be any one of the countries not necessarily NW Europe. The messages are misleading and hopefully will be cleaned up on a later system update.
But why would they give us update notifications for maps we do not have installed? The only map i've installed is specifically for my region. I've noticed in the past when there's an update related to that map, there's a blue icon showing there's a map update. But most of the time, there is no blue icon and to your point, if it is because other maps now have updates available, why have the system inform me about updates for apps/maps I do not have installed?

Seems like a strange way to handle updates.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

I think all the maps are installed by default. Version 1203 for all of them in my case. I have updated NW Europe and France to 1216 via a USB update downloaded from the Volvo Support website.

I agree the messages aren’t helpful when it’s a map update not a system or app update and it’s a map you don’t have set as active for your “home region”. Future improvements should differentiate between the three types of possible updates I would hope.