2 steps forward 1 step back

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

My car is at the dealer, all ready to go...except for registration.

I have a personalised plate & this is the first time I have put it on a company lease car. This requires me to make the leasing company the nominee which requires a change of nominee on the V778.

I called DVLA and they specifically told me I could hand write the change and send to dealer. Dealer was not sure this was the case so called DVLA who told them that they had to send them the paper copy back to DVLA and they would send a printed copy out. Looks like a 1-2 week delay :roll:

I guess some people would say it is justice for bein vain enough to have a personalised plate.
XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

:roll: indeed!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Dc1743

Post by Dc1743 »

Why don’t you put the private plate on retention (can be done online immediately) then get a regular VRM and sort the transfer when the dust settles?
XC40 FE | D4 | Fusion Red
Becksie

Post by Becksie »

Dc1743 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:13 pm Why don’t you put the private plate on retention (can be done online immediately) then get a regular VRM and sort the transfer when the dust settles?
I’d second this, my husband has just put his plates on a lease car, his plate was also on retention.
All he had to do was fill in a form and email it over to the lease firm, think it was £20 which goes on next months payment, get the ok which was the following day and screw his plates on.

Think that would save time and faff and not mess about with your nominee when changing back.
Ordered 12/03/18 - D4 R Design Pro - Fusion Red.
Build date - 02/11/18 :shock:
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

Becksie wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm
Dc1743 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:13 pm Why don’t you put the private plate on retention (can be done online immediately) then get a regular VRM and sort the transfer when the dust settles?
I’d second this, my husband has just put his plates on a lease car, his plate was also on retention.
All he had to do was fill in a form and email it over to the lease firm, think it was £20 which goes on next months payment, get the ok which was the following day and screw his plates on.

Think that would save time and faff and not mess about with your nominee when changing back.
Thanks Becksie & DC.

That’s interesting - I asked both Lease company and DVLA and both told me this was the only way to do this. I am nervous about the lease company going bust leaving me unable to get my plate back.

I will call DVLA tomorrow.
Becksie

Post by Becksie »

Who are you leasing with? My husband is with Arval. The email he received from the leasing firm with the 3 day grace you get to change your plates over, says his name as the nominee c/o the leasing firms name and address.
Your safer that way by the sounds of it, you have your rentention certificate with your details on, easy to change back and screw the original plates on.

That seems a lot of trouble over nothing and one person doesn’t know what the other one is saying!

I was debating to get my plates put before I have it delivered, think I’ll wait and do it the same way he did as I’m also leasing this time round.
Harrydog

Post by Harrydog »

If your number is on retention, The car still gets a reg number so let it go through as per above. Get the free 7day insurance on that plate, go on line change plate to yours, then a few days before you give back at end of lease, pay the £80 to put it back on retention.
If not put it on retention and do above!
Becksie

Post by Becksie »

He also had a letter of no interest from Avril regarding the plates -
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

I have the letter of no interest but the above approach sounds better however on reflection I think it is too late now. The dealer has sent the retention certificate to the DVLA.

Lesson learnt I guess.