Manual or Automatic?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Erago

Post by Erago »

Hi all,

I am hoping to order my first Volvo in a couple of weeks since always driving VW Golfs and always driven a manual car.

I was wondering what everyone’s preference is between manual or an automatic? And what the major differences there are, if any.

Thanks,

Erago
XC40 | R-Design | 2.0 D4 AWD | Crystal White | 19" wheels | Ordered April| Delivered November

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I've ordered automatic for that first time in my life. My gutt feeling is in the next 5-10 years I don't think new cars will have an automatic option.

Not sure what you mean by differences , performance wise there isn't any imo
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Flatman5

Post by Flatman5 »

I’m currently driving a manual. But have ordered an automatic thought it would be a nice change, and I quite liked the double tap gearshift on the automatic when I drove it.
Erago

Post by Erago »

Thanks for the reply.

Why don’t you think there will be an automatic option?

By differences I mean, comfort, performance, MPG.

Erago
XC40 | R-Design | 2.0 D4 AWD | Crystal White | 19" wheels | Ordered April| Delivered November
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

I think you'll find the 8 speed auto will be almost better in every way in a car such as the XC40 than a manual.

The XC40 in fairness is not really designed to be a performance car, more a competent family all rounder that'll venture off road if you need it.

If you're stuck in traffic a lot, crawling forward slowly all the time, automatic wins hands down.

If you want to launch quick off the lights or have very quick gear changes for a more spirited drive, the automatic wins in most cases.

Modern automatics are also as economical if not more economical than their manual equivalents.

Finally, and in reality, I don't think cars of the future will have a manual option as they'll be driving us around :D
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Erago wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:26 pm Thanks for the reply.

Why don’t you think there will be an automatic option?

By differences I mean, comfort, performance, MPG.

Erago
It's just a person opinion with the way driving is going. Plus lots of newer features require the ability for the car to change gear such as adaptive cruise control. It's cheaper for car manufacturers to build only automatics then auto's and manuals.

Differences in my opinion
Comfort: auto's win, perfect rev matching when changing gear other than that I don't think the gearbox has much input
Performance: I don't believe the type of transmission has much of an impact but in theory electronics can change a gear faster than any human. Resulting in better 0-60 times.
MPG: again in theory auto's should be better as the car should be in the best gear for the speed your doing and in manuals you might decide not to bother

Also worth noting that auto transmissions should wear better then manuals due to the lack of human control in the process of changing gear. No accidental grinding of gears, no getting the clutch wrong from time to time and excessively wearing it whilst changing gear. No matter how good of a driver you are it happens from time to time
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

For me manuals win hands down every time especially in town, stop start traffic, so much easier with not having to keep using the clutch and selecting gear. Minimal difference these days between auto and manual fuel consumption, as mention previous no clutch to wear out.
My my advice go test drive both ( when and if you can find a manual one ) ?
T5 First edition Crystal White
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

My FE will be my first automatic in 44 yrs of driving.
Prompted to change after a 3 day test drive in an identical car to mine but with a DSG gearbox and adaptive cruise. The automatic is a no-brainer in conjunction with all the driver aids in my opinion. Adaptive cruise and the automatic gearbox make the commute so much easier, hardly have to touch the pedals...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
senwar

Post by senwar »

You can’t make a decision based on what other people think. It will be a personal preference.

I had my first auto by accident really, an A5 coupe. Only took it as the car I’d previously ordered was the wrong spec when delivered so was offered an auto at no extra cost (think the dsg was about £2k more at the time). My next/current car was dsg only so made the decision for me.

Personally I’d never go back. Just prefer it. If I’d got a sports car I’d possibly feel differently
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Becksie

Post by Becksie »

I’d never go back to a manual, I also got mine my mistake.
The car I ordered had a long lead time so they offers me 2 models up for the same price, it wasn’t till I went to collect it, that I realised it was an auto.
Took a while to get used to it but now I love it. My husband has a Golf R with a DSG box and that’s the most responsive gear box I’ve ever driven. That’s a sporty car with an auto box.

Worse case try the auto and if you really don’t like it, you can always go back to a manual.
Ordered 12/03/18 - D4 R Design Pro - Fusion Red.
Build date - 02/11/18 :shock: