Manual or Automatic?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Beeko Bill

Post by Beeko Bill »

This will be the first time of owning an automatic for me which I’m looking forward to. One question, how do you drive in snow conditions of which we’ve had a fair bit of late. In a manual, I don’t use brakes in this conditions, just gears to slow down in increments.

Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

You can still drive an automatic as a manual, just put in manual drive mode and use either the paddles or the gear lever and drive as you would in a manual without having the need to use a clutch pedal. 😀
T5 First edition Crystal White
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

My current V60 was my first automatic and I will never go back to manual. Found the 'double press' change on the XC40 took a bit of getting used to during my test drive but I'm sure I'll soon get the hang of it quickly when i eventually take delivery.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

As said by others, it’s very much a personal preference thing. Having said that...

After 20-odd years of manuals, I got my first auto (a Tiguan) about 5 years ago. Was immediately converted. Replaced that with my current A-Class, again auto. As an aside, with its column mounted gear lever, the switch to Mercedes was a technique change like the XC40 shifter with its double-tap change. Totally second nature within a couple weeks, so I don’t understand the regular complaints from the press reviews about it being so different!

Mrs Morrishey also loves the auto and when the family bus 7-seater has finished its work, she will absolutely get an auto.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.