B4 fuel consumption

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I'm with Oldie on this one. I regularly do airport runs which for the most part are dual carriageway and motorway. The journey time is well under 2 hours each way but the whole round trip extends to over 5 hours. I plan the trip, rushing there and back gains nothing in time, uses more fuel and the enhanced concentration of keeping up with the fast traffic is mentally tiring.

I drive at 65 (sometimes 60) in lane one, anticipate and pull out to overtake lorries and slower cars, speeding up to 70 where necessary so as not to impede faster traffic.

The XC40 is a relaxing car to drive. I like to relax while driving it. If I want to drive fast for fun I have an MX5 !
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

To add to the above:

On such trips, on the return leg with the T5 Recharge's battery now empty, the Volvo app reports between 54 and 57 mpg.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

@Oldie, I think you and I have been talking at cross purposes regarding fuel consumption. We seem to be comparing apples with pears. My TM will show fuel consumption in excess of 90mpg when I’ve reset it, but it eventually goes down to mid 30s. I too can achieve in excess of 60mpg at times, but the average for the whole journey is far, far lower.

The phone app that you don’t use provides the figures that I’ve been quoting which calculates the fuel consumption for each journey (or part thereof if the ignition has been switched off at a comfort stop). On longer journeys at a steady 65mph, I get an average of 39mpg. A far cry from the 62mpg you report.
Post by Oldie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:17 pm

Doubt you will better much over 35 whilst cold and a lot of town driving - and towards 50 in summer with gentle driving - seen 62 at one point on motorway and a gentle foot.
The most accurate figure is full tank to full tank. I’ve been achieving mid 30s using this technique.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@KeithR56 - any mpg figures stated were the TM figures on the dash and not from any app - never seen 90-mpg, but haven't reset the TM - if it helps - did approx 180-miles Sunday-Tuesday with a mix of motorway and A-roads - topped it back up with 16.27 liters or 3.59 gals = average 50.14-mpg.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

This is the best I get from mine on a 175 mile journey.

Screenshot_20220821-191030.png

XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

With my T4 FWD Auto 8 MY20 I took yesterday a 128 miles relatively slow 32 mph average drive on heavy traffic country roads, no overtaking or hard acceleration, max speed 60 mph. Driving mode set to Individual with engine on Eco, everything else on Comfort, 90% of acceleration and braking handled by ACC / Pilot Assist. Fuel consumption was 47 mpg for the trip.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

That would correspond reasonably well to my experiences in the B4 AWD.
I now regret not ticking the self replenishing fuel tank option that others on this forum clearly did.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

:lol: Wondered what the SRFT option was - it was a rare freebie so just ticked it ??