A few questions on possible :- XC40 Plus B4 AWD mild hybrid

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

For such short distances I find these consumption figures irrelevant, I get the same with my T4 FWD. We’re talking about less than 0,1 gallons used, don’t expect the fuel pump to have 0,01 gallon unit precision.

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

The engine will barely have warmed up over that short distance. The consumption figures quoted are commensurate with mine, which are dire for the first mile or so, but fairly quickly head into the high 30s as the distance increases.

I'll regularly get somewhere well above 35mpg for, say, a 10 mile urban trip in light traffic to somewhere around or above 40mpg for a longer, free-flowing A-road trip.

I am quite light-footed, but that's in Comfort, not Eco.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

For such short distances I find these consumption figures irrelevant
Not comforting for me as most of my journeys are that short.

The OP asked what the fuel consumption is like in the real world. I’m now retired so I don’t have to do a 40 mile daily commute in stop-start motorway traffic anymore. So for me at least, this is the real world.

These figures represent fuel consumption on a hot day. The figures I was getting for short journeys in January were in the teens. It doesn’t help that Volvo’s cost cutting on MY22 cars removed the active radiator shutters and under bonnet insulation (amongst other things). In winter, my XC40’s engine hasn’t warmed up after a 10 mile trip.

On a 300 mile trip to visit family last weekend (mixed motorway and A road), I achieved an average of 37.6mpg. Having said that, I have had better fuel consumption on other road trips that were mostly A roads. So if you can do a steady 40 - 50mph with few hills, fuel consumption is reasonable. I’m off to Scotland next week and expect to cover around 1,500 miles over seven days, so it’ll be interesting what mpg I get then. I did a similar trip in a diesel XC60 in 2019 and averaged 57mpg. (I only mention that to demonstrate my driving style).

I originally wanted a PHEV, but at the time, the dealership said they weren’t taking any new orders. They had a 12 month old plug-in T4 Inscription Pro in stock with 10k on the clock, but wanted £48k for it 😂😂😂. Way above list price for a similar spec brand new car.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Personally I feel that for something heavy with the aerodynamics of a house brick and a 2l ICE the XC40 is excellent and fuel consumption very good.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

Felindre wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 am Krystof, you will get the Sensus navigation, the only XC40 getting the android currently is the fully electric.
Hi Felindre.

Mine (hopefully arriving in the next couple of weeks) is a MY2023 B4, and all mild hybrid MY2023s have the new Android system with integrated Google Maps. It's one of many things the MY2023 (= the mid-life facelift) shares with the C40 - including cosmetic things like the new headlight shapes, a new colour range and so on. But the last MY2022s still have the outgoing Sensus satnav, and it's possible that the last few of those are still trickling their way through the system to their owners.

I asked which satnav the poster has because they described it as "dreadful". I've heard some people say that Sensus is dreadful (though most people seem to get on perfectly well with it), but I don't think I can remember anybody ever describing Google Maps as dreadful - after all, a lot of people prefer to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play so they can use Google Maps or Waze, rather than using the system supplied with the car (which will often be Garmin or TomTom based).

So the poster's comment just intrigued me and made me curious to know which system they were talking about. It's not hugely important - with satnav as with most things, I think it's largely a case of each to their own, and it depends a lot on what people are used to.
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:12 pm something heavy with the aerodynamics of a house brick
:lol:
But not just any old house brick - a house brick with an optional vegan steering wheel and/or crystal gear shifter...
GJH0702

Post by GJH0702 »

I am glad I asked !!
Thank you all for your input- very helpful.
May look around to see other 'options' - albeit I know I have been 'spoilt' by diesel MPG over the years.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Krystof wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Felindre wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 am Krystof, you will get the Sensus navigation, the only XC40 getting the android currently is the fully electric.
Hi Felindre.

Mine (hopefully arriving in the next couple of weeks) is a MY2023 B4, and all mild hybrid MY2023s have the new Android system with integrated Google Maps. It's one of many things the MY2023 (= the mid-life facelift) shares with the C40 - including cosmetic things like the new headlight shapes, a new colour range and so on. But the last MY2022s still have the outgoing Sensus satnav, and it's possible that the last few of those are still trickling their way through the system to their owners.

I asked which satnav the poster has because they described it as "dreadful". I've heard some people say that Sensus is dreadful (though most people seem to get on perfectly well with it), but I don't think I can remember anybody ever describing Google Maps as dreadful - after all, a lot of people prefer to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play so they can use Google Maps or Waze, rather than using the system supplied with the car (which will often be Garmin or TomTom based).

So the poster's comment just intrigued me and made me curious to know which system they were talking about. It's not hugely important - with satnav as with most things, I think it's largely a case of each to their own, and it depends a lot on what people are used to.
My bad, I hadn't heard that the android unit was now standard. I personally don't have an issue with the sensus navigation, it doesn't do some things as easily as the one in misses VW T-Cross, but then loads of VW owners complain about that! It gets me from A to B, tells me traffic issues ahead and hasn't got ne wrong in 18 months.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

May look around to see other 'options'
It's a big investment when buying a vehicle outright, so you're doing exactly the right thing by shopping around and asking owners.

I test drove a Tucson and a Qashqai before buying the XC40. I was very impressed with them both. I couldn't find anyone who had the latest Tiguan, or Rav4 in stock for me to look at.

My problem with the Qashqai was that the high spec model had a very dark interior (black headlining etc.) which didn't suit my tastes. Very comfy though. There's supposed to be an "e-power" version being launched this year which is an EV that is powered by an ICE generator (not batteries). In some parts of the world they've had this set up in the Nissan Note for some time and they're reported be almost silent whilst returning better than diesel MPG. There's some videos on You Tube that might be worth looking at.

The Tucson was a great car with masses of toys and comes with a 5 year warranty. Hyundai are one of the few manufacturers that doesn't have a chip shortage. The only problem I had was the touch screen was so big I had to stretch to reach the far side of it.

I was about to place my order with Hyundai when an XC40 in the exact colour combo I wanted became available at a dealership 60 miles away. It was a tough call, but as soon as I got behind the wheel of the Volvo the decision was made. (I also got crazy money for the XC60 I was trading in which helped).

I've been driving Volvos since the mid 90s. I shop around every time I swap, but always end up buying another Volvo.

Good luck with the search.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Mervin

Post by Mervin »

Been driving the xc40 B4 AWD for past 14 months and not a single issue so far. I’m getting similar mpg as others. Mixed driving including London traffic 20 miles is about 32 mpg and motorway 38. Long drive to Belgium was 42 mpg. These are actual readings calculated by fuel used when refilling with petrol. XC40 driving experience is exceptional. Smooth and silent take off every time including stop start in traffic. AWD grips the road on bends with ease. Sensus screen is acceptable. Voice commands work well. Can’t fault the car. Happy driving if choose to purchase this version.
2023 B4 Plus Dark AWD.Driver Assist and BLIS Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel. Black