Dash cam - which fuse ?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Andy40
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:24 am

Post by Andy40 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:08 pm

Morning

Looking to hard wire dash cam - for those that have, which fuse number did you use in the fairly inaccessible fuse box under passenger seat ??

Was going to use 86 (Alcohol lock) as it’s free and powered, but it looks to be a permanent live, which I don’t want.

Any help, much appreciated
A

eugen61
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 am

Post by eugen61 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:25 pm

It might be easier to use the USB input from rear of tunnel console if permanent power is not needed. The type C port can be used with an adapter for dash cam power cables.

D22D9538-E110-45A1-9B27-6F57AB60BE4D.jpeg


Sherwood
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Post by Sherwood » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:23 pm

I know it isn't what the OP asked, but mine is powered via a (supplied with the camera) double USB adapter from the dash 12V socket (which powers up with the ignition). Only 6-8 inches of lead exposed ,the rest fed (hidden) behind the glovebox and the door trim/A Pillar/Headlining.

I'm not averse to using a piggy-back fuse permanent solution (one of my other vehicles is wired that way, and the camera is simply transferred), but it was a pretty convenient connection without messing about.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)

Andy40
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:24 am

Post by Andy40 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:00 pm

eugen61 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:25 pm
It might be easier to use the USB input from rear of tunnel console if permanent power is not needed. The type C port can be used with an adapter for dash cam power cables.

D22D9538-E110-45A1-9B27-6F57AB60BE4D.jpeg
Cheers mate - yes did think of this - 1 of those times where you wished they’d put a 12v socket there instead of a USB port.

I’ll have a look for an adapter to see …

Cheers

Andy40
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:24 am

Post by Andy40 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:03 pm

Sherwood wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:23 pm
I know it isn't what the OP asked, but mine is powered via a (supplied with the camera) double USB adapter from the dash 12V socket (which powers up with the ignition). Only 6-8 inches of lead exposed ,the rest fed (hidden) behind the glovebox and the door trim/A Pillar/Headlining.

I'm not averse to using a piggy-back fuse permanent solution (one of my other vehicles is wired that way, and the camera is simply transferred), but it was a pretty convenient connection without messing about.
Cheers mate.

I can use the 12v socket with the supplied adapter / cable, but was just looking at other options.

Unfortunately the cable isn’t long enough to reach into the boot to use the 12v socket in there…

eugen61
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 am

Post by eugen61 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:56 pm

You could also use a cable extension to reach the 12V socket in the boot:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Extens ... 157&sr=8-9

eugen61
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 am

Post by eugen61 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 am

eugen61 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:56 pm
You could also use a cable extension to reach the 12V socket in the boot:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Extens ... 157&sr=8-9
Correction: the amplification extension cable doesn’t allow charging. The proper USB extension cable for camera charging can be found here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics- ... =8-14&th=1

step2534
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Post by step2534 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:51 pm

Volvo fitted mine, the lad had done one before, took 3 hrs.
He used the Front Seat adjustment fuse cos it goes off with the ignition.
Its in the fuse box under passenger seat, one of the difficulties was finding a fuse that went off when the ignition was off/

Andy40
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:24 am

Post by Andy40 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:57 am

step2534 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:51 pm
Volvo fitted mine, the lad had done one before, took 3 hrs.
He used the Front Seat adjustment fuse cos it goes off with the ignition.
Its in the fuse box under passenger seat, one of the difficulties was finding a fuse that went off when the ignition was off/
Cheers - I’ll have a look as to which fuse that is 👍🏻

Wedgie
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Post by Wedgie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 am

For most higher end cameras you will need two fuses - one ignition switched the other permanently on ( to enable recording when the car is parked) . The difficulty lies in identifying which is which as many ignition controlled become live as soon as you unlock the car / open the door.

I have identified which to use (with photos) in a previous post.

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post