Who would've thought ..........

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Can't see why you should have a fight on your hands - just tell your insurance want happened and let them sort it out - feel unlikely to have alignment issues, looks like bonnet, wing and trim, bumper and wheel - re-paint and guess yep £10k - but no write off in my view.

Bob

Post by Bob »

What can't be seen on the photo is that the off-side front wheel is pointing in a different direction to the near-side one. I've heard on the grapevine that if repair costs hit £12,000 they'll write it off.

Also availability of parts may be an issue. If they are not readily available the insurers will have to pay for storage, this could be a tidy sum in itself.

I spoke to the repairers, they are only replacing one tyre, the other three are about 70% worn. I've suggested that, at the very least, the near-side tyre should also be replaced so the tyre tread differential isn't too great. But, as it's AWD, I've suggested the the tread differential between the front axle and rear axle may also be too great. I know when I had an Audi Quattro tyres on the same axle had to be within 2mm tread depth and no more the 3mm tread difference between rear and front axles.
Apparently the engineers looking at it say they'll only replace the one tyre.

I've emailed Volvo U.K. to ask if their AWD vehicles are as sensitive to tread differences as Audi's.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Deleted User 3629

You do have the right to go to a place of your choosing to have it repaired if you are not happy, though you will have to pay the excess and claim it back should you not be at fault - but doubt any insurer will pay for the other 3 tyres when 70% worn, and feel you would need to change all 4 with that that much difference in tread on a 4x4. Usually it would have to be a side swipe that shunted the car across the road to have alignment issues - but the damage could still reach 12K+ even without alignment issues - my daughter had a slight crease at the rear from a glancing car and that was 3.5k - so if your guessing it could deemed a write off at 12k then it possibly will be?
Bob

Post by Bob »

No, I'm happy with where it's at. There is another repairer I'd rather it go to, but they can't take on anymore work, only taking in cars from the insurers they have contracts with, or car manufacturers that they are the authorised repairers for. When I spoke to them they reckoned that most repair shops in this area have a large backlog, with quite a few having stopped trading due to COVID.
Regarding the tyres I wouldn't expect all the tyres to be replaced without some contribution from me, however, I would expect the other front tyre to be replaced at the very least before releasing the vehicle as I believe there would be a potential safety issue with such a large tread difference.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Hope you get the car sorted out, but they’re not going to replace the near side tyre - it wasn’t damaged as part of the accident (unless you can see something to show otherwise), so they’re not going to change.

I can see where you’re coming from and I know what you mean / how you feel, but I’d try to look at it in a positive frame, you’re only having to be pay for 1 new tyre (or 3 if you want the full set)…
Deleted User 3629

@bob - its my understanding that insurance companies won't pay for you property to be in a better position advantage than it was before a claim unless the item is damaged itself - i.e your other front tyre is not damaged and if they paid for one you would then be at a better position advantage than before the claim - if you feel a need to replace the other tyre because potential tread difference wear on the drive system you will have to pay for one yourself, that's just how insurance claims are!!
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

The basic principle is that it puts you, as far as possible, back to the same position you were in immediately before the loss. A modern variation is the New For Old cover on cars under 12 months old. It's also gets a stretch with replacement parts.

But it's always there to be negotiated. It's not like the regulated side, say with Life Assurance - which in its basic form pays the Sum Assured in the event of death - end of. If a safety case can be made for replacement of an undamaged tyre on the same axle, make it. A supporting view from Volvo would help.

Worst that can happen is they'll say no, and you could try it as an uninsured loss claim against the van driver.

Good luck Bob.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Bob

Post by Bob »

Mikeg1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 pm The basic principle is that it puts you, as far as possible, back to the same position you were in immediately before the loss. A modern variation is the New For Old cover on cars under 12 months old. It's also gets a stretch with replacement parts.

But it's always there to be negotiated. It's not like the regulated side, say with Life Assurance - which in its basic form pays the Sum Assured in the event of death - end of. If a safety case can be made for replacement of an undamaged tyre on the same axle, make it. A supporting view from Volvo would help.

Worst that can happen is they'll say no, and you could try it as an uninsured loss claim against the van driver.

Good luck Bob.
That was my thinking Mike. However, it will all be academic if the car gets written off! :roll:
Thanks to all for your support and advice/opinions.
Bob
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Indeed Bob. Keep us posted 🤞🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Bob

Post by Bob »

An update - It turns out it was far more than £10,000 worth of damage, when they started stripping it back they found it needed more parts so a supplementary estimate was submitted (I don't know how much). It took the Insurance company 10 days to accept it (that was three weeks ago), and that was only after I contacted them to ask what they were playing at, i.e. either write the car off or accept the new costs.
It has now been 8 weeks since the crash (7 May).
I telephoned the repairers on Friday to get an update on the parts availability, when I was advised that a wiring loom and steering rack/front drive shaft are on back order and expected delivery is 8 to 10 weeks. Add the 2 to 3 weeks it'll take to repair it, it looks like I won't see my car for another 3 months, at least!
So that'll be a total of at least 5 months without a car. :roll: