Care Key

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Rockford wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:36 pm
johnboy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:45 am Dealer is advising that, "yes, we can reprogramme the orange key, £95 please". I've asked why other manufacturers can supply two full keys at point of sale.
Ask them to read TJ35978 and get it booked in under warranty. It should be done free of charge.
Well it is clear the dealer isn't going to play nicely, so I contacted Customer Care, below is their response.........

Thank you for contacting us today.

I have received confirmation from the Warranty Team that the cost to reprogramme the Care Key is not coverable under the manufacturer's warranty.

As per the directive for our retailers the software conversion is free of charge, however, the retailers may charge for labour or apply a service charge for this to be carried out.

I hope the above information, clarifies our position.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I had this in march when I had my care key programmed. They were asking £50 plus vat, BUT only mentioned this when I came for collection. When I'd booked it in and when I took it in in the morning there was no talk of cost, so I argued if it was chargeable they should have told me up front.

Service manager offered to remove the coding and not charge... So I said OK. He went off, a d came back 5 minutes later and said no charge. I guess to remove it they'd have to take the car back in the workshop to revert the coding, not worth their time.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

It seems that dealers are interpreting the bulletin as they like. Having read of the possibility on here, I raised it with my dealer, and there was no resistance at all to doing it free (albeit concurrently with the car being booked in for other investigation work).

Having contacted Customer Care, I don't think you have much further recourse, but, for info, the attachment below is the official info for the US market, where there is clearly an expectation that this will be done free under warranty (see the bit on raising a warranty job).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 6-9999.pdf
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Sherwood wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:26 am It seems that dealers are interpreting the bulletin as they like. Having read of the possibility on here, I raised it with my dealer, and there was no resistance at all to doing it free (albeit concurrently with the car being booked in for other investigation work).

Having contacted Customer Care, I don't think you have much further recourse, but, for info, the attachment below is the official info for the US market, where there is clearly an expectation that this will be done free under warranty (see the bit on raising a warranty job).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 6-9999.pdf
I've placed it back in Customer Cares court, explaining this is not the sort of treatment I was expecting having just spent £44k, I await their response again, I also pointed out the tech bulletin.