B4 Service Costs

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Can anyone tell me what they’ve paid for a service on an automatic petrol XC40?

The B4P XC40 I purchased in January this year was a six week old demonstrator and because I didn’t buy it from new I couldn’t take advantage of the service plan deals. I also didn’t buy it locally so the plans available at point of sale would have meant a 120 mile journey to get it serviced each year.

I’ve read some horror stories of service costs spiralling upward at the moment, so I’ve asked my local dealer for a service plan quote. They’ve come back with £763 for the first 2 services which sounds really high to me (I don’t do more than 6k miles a year). They can’t (or won’t) offer me a 3, or 5 year deal. They also can’t tell me what the services will cost without a plan because my first service isn’t due until November and prices are likely to change.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

There is an online booking portal at https://www.volvocars.com/uk/workshop-booking/. Using my local dealer this gives service 1 at £360 and service 2 at £580! Crazy money for what it involves. Your local dealer may be less or possibly even more depending on where you are. I used the details of our daughters B4 R-Design Pro to get the quotes. She paid £500 for 5 services. It was a special offer when it was new.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Use the online booking to check, but it sounds like your local dealership has given you their costs to ‘buy’ 2 years servicing at todays rate, which potentially may increase if you leave it later in to the year…

Worthwhile also checking another dealership to see what they offer.

Out of interest, was the dealership you purchased it from able to do you a better deal - yes, you don’t really want a 60mike journey to them, but if you’re going to save more than the price of a few gallons of fuel, may well be worth it ?

I managed to get a reduction to the service cost of my wife’s V40 when we got it - got the first service done included in the price and £200 for the 2nd service - which I subsequently found out was less than half price of the actual service… so was worth the journey back to them ( wasn’t our most local dealership).
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Thanks for the replies. I purchased the car 4 months ago, so it may be too late to go back to the dealer I bought it from. Probably worth a try though. Nothing to lose.

The salesman brought up the subject of a service plan, but only to dismiss it as not appropriate due to the distance involved. He didn’t quote and figures at the time. Andy40’s point about travelling has got me thinking whether the service plans can be used at any dealership regardless of where they were purchased.

I’m in the north west of England. In recent years my local dealerships have changed ownership. I once had the choice of several different dealerships within easy reach, but they are now all Rybrooks.

From Cevoli21’s reply it would seem that the deal offered is a good saving based on today’s prices. The cost in 6, or 18 months is not likely to be and lower and could be considerably higher.

I’ll try phoning another branch tomorrow to see if I can get a better deal and maybe a 3, or 5 year plan.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Good luck and definitely worth a call back to your supplying dealership.

Hope you manage to sort something out 👍🏻
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

The 5 year plan on our daughters car is valid at any dealer in the UK.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Mervin

Post by Mervin »

I have a 3 year service plan. Does anyone know if I can extend it now to a 5 year plan
2023 B4 Plus Dark AWD.Driver Assist and BLIS Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel. Black
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Mervin wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:12 pm I have a 3 year service plan. Does anyone know if I can extend it now to a 5 year plan
I doubt it very much - I know when I bought mine I had to make a decision on which one I wanted, you couldn’t change once purchased.

Definitely worth an ask at your suppling dealership though…
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

My XC40 is now on Year 4. Took out 3 year plan when new. The "new" service contract (main dealer) is £30 a month for another 3 years. So say £360 is the fixed price for a service and all the fringe benefits which we hope never to use - recovery etc. Bearing in mind that prices are BOUND to escalate over the next three years, I reckon this is good value. If you sell the car you stop paying, so I suspect any sale/trade in will take place just after the yearly service!
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I didn’t buy my XC40 from new (it was a six week old demonstrator with 1,000 miles on the clock) so the ultra cheap service plan deals weren’t available to me. I never got around to sorting out a plan when I bought the car, but a recent posting in another thread made me realise I need to do something soon.

So after some useful feedback on this thread and a few phone calls, I’ve just purchased a five year service plan with my local dealership. The price was nothing like the bargain that others got when buying a car from new, but it will save me money in the long run and I won’t have to worry about costs going up.

The cost for a 5 year plan was a deposit of £57.30 plus 34 monthly payments of £48.62. That’s a total of £1,710, or £342 per service. The 3 year plan was £1033.

These prices are more, or less in line with Bhowani’s experience. I’ve recently retired and intend to keep this one for a while so the 5 year deal was a no brainier for me.