Rattle passenger side

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
wpv

Post by wpv » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:47 pm

XC40 phev T5: rattle, passenger side, starts over 50-55mph (unaffected by bumps in road) - sounds more like air flow rattling something?
Any ideas?

Andy40

Post by Andy40 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:29 pm

Do you have the sunroof ?

Have you tried altering the air vents to see if that helps ?

Obvious, but you have double checked the windows are fully shut ?

Can you hear it sat as a passenger - wondering if they can pinpoint it more ?

wpv

Post by wpv » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:51 pm

Thanks - all good suggestions, but none of the above!

Exmpa

Post by Exmpa » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Lower centre console trim liable to produce a rattle, but not necessarily speed dependent. It’s apparently not unusual, I experienced this and dealership rectified it quickly.

Exmpa

bba

Post by bba » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:38 pm

I suffer from this too and it is driving me crazy, sounds like indeed it is related to airflow. I have been poking at things on the outside of the passenger side to see if anything is loose, but nothing so far. Sometimes I have been wondering if I have left the charging port flap open (BMW have a sensor, so it tells you), but it never is. It seems very difficult to pinpoint. I shall try opening the roof at speed next and see if that makes any difference.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and possibly faulty Pilot Assist

Steker

Post by Steker » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:32 pm

I know this sounds unlikely but in my case after months of searching I realised I only happened when I was tuned in to a DAB station with a week signal and was coming from the tweeter in the door, it sounded sounded like a muffled rattle which I assume is the signal fluttering in and out.
I hope you soon find it, I know how annoying it is. Good luck
MY19 Inscription D3 AWD. Pine grey, Winter pack, Comfort pack.

morganj

Post by morganj » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:35 pm

I can’t think right now where I have seen it, but I do remember reading this. There is a plastic part in front or near the under body around the front wheel arches that can vibrate at around those speeds. Have a search on this or other XC40 forums and I’m sure you will find what I’m talking about.

EDIT Found it

viewtopic.php?t=2634
XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist

wpv

Post by wpv » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:58 pm

Thanks for all these possibilities.
Will check them out and report back when I (or dealer) find it..

PlymDave

Post by PlymDave » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 pm

I had a faint but irritating rattle/sqeek coming from the dashboard around the lower edge of the centre screen. I traced it to the transition between this console and the plastic moulding below it (where the USBs and wireless phone charger are). I found a thin piece of neoprene foam which I pushed in between the two sections out of sight. Problem sorted! A small squirt of silicone lubricant (mould release) spray works wonders on small squeaks and rattles as well.
I don't consider this to be a bad thing as far as Volvo are concerned as all modern car interiors are predominantly plastic sections which will rub together and make a noise of some sort.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post