Break Pads and discs need replacing

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JMR

Post by JMR »

Hi,
My car has covered 16,000 miles only - I reported a front breaks "squeak" to the garage at 11,000 and they couldn't find anything, so said if it persisted, although not worn, it might be worth changing the pads to sort the noise.

I declined, at 11,000, but have now relented given the noise.

Basically, do folk agree that replacing pads and discs after no more than 16,000 miles is a bit rubbish and shouldn't be necessary?
I'm wondering about contacting Volvo UK and asking them to reimburse the cost as something must be wrong!
Any thoughts/guidance please?
R-Design T3 Auto FWD + Climate, Versatility, Power Seats & Park Assist. October 2020.

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Why would you change the discs if they suggested changing the pads to cure a noise issue?

What was the percentage wear on the discs and pads?
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

JMR wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:34 pm Hi,
My car has covered 16,000 miles only - I reported a front breaks "squeak" to the garage at 11,000 and they couldn't find anything, so said if it persisted, although not worn, it might be worth changing the pads to sort the noise.

I declined, at 11,000, but have now relented given the noise.

Basically, do folk agree that replacing pads and discs after no more than 16,000 miles is a bit rubbish and shouldn't be necessary?
I'm wondering about contacting Volvo UK and asking them to reimburse the cost as something must be wrong!
Any thoughts/guidance please?
Change pads but certainly not the discs. What’s the wear on both?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
bba

Post by bba »

I would suggest to disassemble, apply copper grease as appropriate and put the brakes back together again would do the trick. Any decent backstreet garage should be able to do that, does not need a main dealer.

As a side note I have observed that the brakes on the T3s that I have seen at least are tiny compared with the brakes of the T5s I have seen - I wonder if the small size means that they might be more prone to squeaks, particularly if driven enthusiastically.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist